Author Topic: Using Flash Drive ( Thumb Drive | Memory Stick ) For Saving Images  (Read 2224 times)

Kurtois

• View Profile
I recently built a Windows XP Box with a 60GB SSD.  I would certainly prefer to leave the SSD as clean as possible.  Is anyone saving their images from iCamSource to a flash drive, instead of the main drive?  Has this presented any performance issues? 

As an alternative, I have seen Dropbox solutions in the past on this forum.  I guess that is a route to take, also.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Using Flash Drive ( Thumb Drive | Memory Stick ) For Saving Images
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 05:13:03 PM »
The DropBox route saves the images to both your hard drive AND your DropBox account, not just to your DropBox account. There is a folder size limiter in icamsource...it automatically delete the images from the folder once it reaches that limit and starts fresh. You can choose the max size of the folder.

Kurtois

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 07:55:33 PM »
The DropBox route saves the images to both your hard drive AND your DropBox account, not just to your DropBox account.

Thanks for the tidbit.  Say, I am curious how you set yours up with DropBox, assuming you have.

Dedicated DropBox account just for your iCam stuff, I assume? 

Also, did you pay for an account or just go with the free allotment? 

What do you plan to do when you near capacity on DropBox? 

Any pitfalls you ran into using this method?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 11:36:56 PM »
1) I only use it for iCam...just because I don't have anything else important enough to backup. haha But there's room to store other files.

2) Free.

3) I set the max folder size to a value under the DropBox account limit...so when the images are deleted by icamsource on my computer, the dropbox service deletes them from my dropbox account as well...meaning the dropbox account is hands-free...no effort required once you get it set up and working correctly.

4) I haven't had any issues at all...love it! Totally worth it...especially since it's FREE. :)