Author Topic: Auto open programme @source  (Read 3051 times)

Puffin

• View Profile
Auto open programme @source
« on: March 16, 2012, 12:03:51 PM »
Hi, I am doing pretty well setting up but I need to know 2 things if you could help

1. How can I test to see if my set up will work out of my home? (just wondering if there is a way to test as wi-fi cafes are few and far between where I live)

2. Really struggling with this one...... If my connection drops or my computer re starts my connection is gone which is a problem when I am on holiday, is there a way to make it re start automatically?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Auto open programme @source
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 05:48:08 PM »
1) If you have a data plan on your smart device, simply disconnect yourself from your wifi and then try opening iCam. If you connect, you "should" be ok. I say "should" because depending on where you are/which network you are connected to, it could affect the outcome. This is why you should consider using the auto router config feature in icamsource along with enabling uPNP in your router settings, or set up manual port forwarding. Once that is done, you shouldn't have any issues. Personally, I set mine up using manual port forwarding. Although it is a pain to set up, I have ALWAYS been able to connect as long as I had Internet access on my phone and at home.

2) This advice is for a PC, not a Mac...I'm not a Mac guy. You have 2 decent options:
   a) In the BIOS of your computer, set it to restart upon power loss. In Windows, configure your computer to automatically log in to your user account on that computer (do not require a password...but this is a security issue if others are in your home or if a thief steals your computer...you'll lose the security images of said thief). Drop a shortcut to iCam into the startup folder in the Start menu.
   b) Follow the BIOS advice from above. Search the forums on here to set up icamsource as a service. This is tricky to do, but is AWESOME once done correctly. Services can be set to run immediately upon boot up, meaning that a user does not have to log in to the computer.

Finally, if you are using iCam as a security system, you should register for, download, and install Dropbox. Dropbox provides FREE offsite backup of your data (think motion events)...in case your computer crashes or someone steals your computer. If a thief has access to your user account, though, they might be able to figure out how to access your Dropbox account and delete the evidence. There are a couple of posts on here about how to set up Dropbox/icamsource to back up your motion events.

This is how my system is set up: Windows 7 32-bit with local static IP address and the BIOS set to reboot upon power loss; IP cameras with local static IP addresses set to 640x480 resolution and 5fps (this makes icamsource's job easier); icamsource AND dropbox set up as services (with icamsource dependent upon dropbox), which start shortly after (delayed start) the computer boots up; manual port forwarding configured in the router settings (with 7 UDP ports forwarded per camera); and motion event recording enabled on all cameras. I have a consistent Internet connection, but I am assuming that it has dropped for brief amounts of time in the past, but I have noticed no issues with iCam not being able to reconnect after a connection loss/restoration event. If you do have issues, I helped another guy on here with a batch file that he scheduled to run every hour or so...it stops and starts icamsource (with around 1 minute of down time during each reset). He was having a specific issue with connection issues due to his ISP, though...and iCam was having issues with the constant connection issues, I guess.

Just FYI, I am not an employee of SKJM...just really love iCam and helping people configure it correctly. It's a freakin' awesome tool for security purposes. A house down the street was robbed a few weeks ago, and they didn't have iCam. Sucks to be them!

aen333

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 12:34:02 PM »
For Mac

(to auto-restart iCamSource app)
1) drag iCamSource to dock from applications folder
2) right click on dock icon
3) go to options and check "open at login" (you can then drag it off your dock)

(to auto-restart camera feeds)
4) open iCamSource (preferences) and check "AutoStart" in the lower right corner

(to auto-restart computer)
5) go to system preferences
6) click "Energy Saver" (second row)
7) check "Wake for Network access," "Start up automatically after a power failure," and "Restart automatically if the computer freezes"

iCam runs best on macs.  Get great refurbished deals at http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac. iCam will never stop again!

I also highly recommend dropbox
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:38:24 PM by aen333 »

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 05:53:55 PM »
iCam works great on PC's too...you'll be fine either way. PC's might require a little more effort upfront to configure it like I mentioned...but it's rock solid on PC's once configured correctly. If you only have one camera, you probably wouldn't have to worry about the auto router config feature/uPNP or manual port forwarding. One thing I'm not sure about concerning the Mac is whether or not it can be configured to automatically log you in upon a reboot...because it seems like others recently mentioned that it couldn't...meaning that you'd lose access if your computer rebooted. I'm sure aen333 can clarify though. I don't think there is a service equivalent on Macs either.

aen333

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 06:54:09 PM »
Under users and groups in system preferences there is a tab in the lower left corner called login options. There you can select the user you want to automatically log in. You might have to uncheck "disable automatic login" under "Security and Privacy" in system preferences if you had previously enabled that.

I found some roundabout ways of maintaining security with auto login enabled but I think requiring a password after a certain amount of inactivity (applications still run) is sufficient and this too is done under "Security and Privacy."  I think it would take an extraordinarily attentive thief to restart the computer and delete your Dropbox files. You can also remote lock your Mac in OSX lion as you would with an iPhone and or unlink a computer from Dropbox via their website.