Author Topic: Auto-Start Multiple Cameras  (Read 46344 times)

Superpuppy

• View Profile
Auto-Start Multiple Cameras
« on: August 17, 2009, 01:10:37 PM »
I have a set-up that involves 2 IP cameras and a USB Camera.
I had everything running perfectly in minutes after I installed your program, Awesome!!!!   :)

I would like to have it auto-start with all three cameras every time I boot the PC
I put 3 links in the start-up menu, but that didn't work.
When I manually start-up 3 instances of the program after I boot up the computer, each instance loads up the same camera, I have to manually change it
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 11:10:14 AM by Stefan »

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Auto-Start Multiple Cameras
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
The Windows version of iCamSource has command-line arguments that can be used to launch iCamSource instances with different video sources, logins, etc.

You can launch multiple instances of the iCamSource using what is called a batch file. It is basically a file that allows you to run a series of commands with a single double-click. The template can be downloaded here: http://skjm.com/icam/RuniCamSources.bat

If you download the RuniCamSources.bat file to your Desktop you will first have to update the file for your specific cameras before double-clicking on it. Simply right-click the file and select Edit.

The contents of the file looks like this:

- - -

cd "C:\Program Files\iCamSource"

start iCamSource.exe -url=http://192.168.0.107:5000/SnapshotJPEG?Resolution=320x240 -cu=<LOGIN> -cp=<PASS>

start iCamSource.exe -url=http://192.168.0.103:80/cgi-bin/video.jpg -cu=<LOGIN> -cp=<PASS>

- - -

The first line simply prepares to run the iCamSources from the Program Files \ iCamSource folder.
The second and third lines start two instances of the iCamSource using two camera URLs.

You'll need to change the template to reflect your situation.  If iCamSource is installed in a different directory, you'll need to change the first line to point to that directory.

You'll also need to change the iCamSource setup lines, so that there are three of them, one for each camera. 

For the IP cameras, you'll need to replace the URL arguments to be the URLs for your cameras.  The -cu and -cp arguments are for the camera's login and password.

For the USB camera, you'll need to replace the -url, -cu, and -cp arguments with -v and -a arguments that have the index of the video/audio source from the Video/Audio drop down list in iCamSource.  For example, if you want to select the first video source in the Video drop down and the second audio source in the Audio drop down, you'd use the command "start iCamSource.exe -v=0 -a=1"

Once that is done, save the RuniCamSource.bat file, and then double-click it and you should see three iCamSources start automatically with the correct settings for each camera.

I know that there are a number of steps involved here, so please let me know if you have any questions.

Superpuppy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 12:41:05 AM »
It didn't quite work exactly as you suggested...
It has been probably at least 30 years since I last wrote a batch file...  I tinkered with it and I got it to work this way:

C:
    cd\
    cd C:\Program Files\iCamSource
    start iCamSource.exe -url=http://192.168.0.100:8201/cgi-bin/video.jpg -cu=MyLogin -cp=MyPassword
    start iCamSource.exe -url=http://192.168.0.99:8202/cgi-bin/video.jpg -cu=MyLogin -cp=MyPassword
    start iCamSource.exe -v=0 -a=0

No worries, it only took a few minutes to figure it out
Thanks for your help.

mjkaufman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 07:16:14 AM »
Ok, how do I do this from my Mac?
Also, is there a way to have iCam recognize my fixed ip Ethernet cams when the source machine is off? Or does the cpu need to remain on for my entire trip?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 03:18:34 PM »
Since you have to make a copy of the iCamSource.app to run more than one iCamSource at the same time, the Mac version is able to remember the previous settings for each copy, so if you check the Auto Start checkbox and add them to your System Preferences > Accounts > Login Items then the iCamSources will be launched and started every time you login.

mjkaufman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 05:53:15 AM »
Also, is there a way to have iCam recognize my fixed ip Ethernet cams when the source machine is off? Or does the cpu need to remain on for my entire trip?
Do I assume correctly that the cpu needs to remain 'on'?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 10:49:31 AM »
Yes, that is correct.

jamesconklin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 02:00:25 PM »
The command-line batch file works great!  I recommend you add this post to the FAQ page on the website. 

One more question:  Is there a command-line parameter to adjust the iCamSource Description, i.e., I want to label one of the auto-start IP cameras as "Linksys in the Kitchen", and the other auto-start IP camera as "Linksys in the Office", etc..?

Thanks.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 03:50:07 PM »
One more question:  Is there a command-line parameter to adjust the iCamSource Description, i.e., I want to label one of the auto-start IP cameras as "Linksys in the Kitchen", and the other auto-start IP camera as "Linksys in the Office", etc..?

Hmm ... Actually, 1.3.5 does not include that functionality, but we'll include it in the next release. :)

PacketBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2009, 03:46:39 PM »
Great program! Really like the new push feature!

I have the same multiple cam problem, but for some reason my batch file is having issues.

The argument start iCamSource.exe -url=http://192.168.0.107:5000/SnapshotJPEG?Resolution=320x240 -cu=<LOGIN> -cp=<PASS> is being interpreted as if the cameras url is 320x240, i think that second "=" is throwing things out of whack.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2009, 11:19:35 PM »
I'll look through the code to see if there's anything that explains that behavior. 

In the meantime, could you try using the URL the "http://192.168.0.107:5000/SnapshotJPEG" to see if it starts working?  It should just use the default resolution, which is probably 320x240 or 640x480.

PacketBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 08:32:44 AM »
No luck, two of my cameras are the panasonic BL-C131A and BL-C111A, and wouldn't you know it, two of the cameras that don't work in iCam w/o that extra "?Resolution=640x480" bit in the start command.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 01:46:53 PM »
Ok, it was worth a shot.  :)

I'll post back here when I have more info about the command line fix.

One other thing, have you ever tried the Panasonic MJPEG URL for your camera?  The MJPEG URL is "/nphMotionJpeg"  instead of "/SnapshotJPEG". (http://192.168.0.107:5000/nphMotionJpeg?Resolution=320x240   in your case)

MJPEG URLs generally refresh faster than the JPG snapshot URLs.  Make sure the MJPEG checkbox is checked if you use the MJPEG URL.

tamaharbor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 08:56:21 PM »
I am having the same problem using the command line batch file to start my Panasonic BL-C131A cameras.

And the suggested MJPEG URL works manually, but I am still getting the same truncation using the batch file.

PacketBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2009, 06:09:51 AM »
I found a solution (accidentally, not being able to type very well finally pays off  ;D)

Just leave off the second "=" and have the resolution jammed up against the preceding characters with no spaces:

start iCamSource.exe -url=http://192.168.0.107:5000/nphMotionJpeg?Resolution640x480 -cu=<LOGIN> -cp=<PASS>

Seems to work fine.

Thanx again, Jay, and the typing instructor I never had.