Author Topic: Troubleshooting 102 - Source Connection Error  (Read 236115 times)

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Troubleshooting 102 - Source Connection Error
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2010, 01:11:59 AM »
jpwrnglr - Do you see that error when your iPhone is connected to 3G or to the local Wi-Fi network?

Please quit or disable any firewall software on the computer running iCamSource (temporarily) to see if iCam starts working.  If it does, we can configure your firewall to work with iCam.

Do you perhaps have more than one router on the network that the iCamSource is connected to? What is the make and model of your router(s) and cable or DSL modem? (Some modems also do act as routers.)

jpwrnglr

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2010, 10:11:36 AM »
I tried disabling my firewall and still having source connection problems. iCam has full access in my firewall. I tried the port forwarding. My modem is just a plain cable modem (Surfboard SB4100). My router is a Belkin N Wireless Router F5D8236-4.  Sometimes it works for a few min most of the time it doesn't. So far not very happy with this progam.
My ip address for the iPhone is 166.137.136.196

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 12:59:54 AM »
Unfortunately, there is a bug in the port forwarding logic in that particular router model (F5D8236-4), so there isn't much we can do other than to submit a bug report to Belkin (which we've done in the past).  Port forwarding is supposed to bypass the router's port translation, but in this particular model, it does not.  This is the only router model we've ever seen with this behavior.

The strange thing is, we've tested the new version of iCamSource with Belkin routers, and it doesn't require port forwarding with the new network protocol.  Are you running the latest version of iCamSource (1.4.2.5)?

One test you can do to verify that the router is the cause of the problem is to connect your computer directly to your modem with an ethernet cable (temporarily).  If iCam works, that indicates the problem is with the router.

slappywhite

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 09:29:18 AM »
I had this error for a couple weeks. Could not figure out what it was, the network/server config had not changed but all of a sudden, I experienced intermittent behavior with Source Connection Error messages both in iCam app and in iCamWeb across multiple iPhones and computers. I finally resolved it by manually clearing out the Motion Events folders on the server. In fact, I had iCam and iCamWeb open while I was clearing out these folders and as each folder was emptied, the camera associated with that folder started working.....one after another until they all were back to normal.

Some other details: Motion Events folders are 500 MB, plenty of HD space, 4 cams total, Server is a Mac Mini running 10.5.8 Server, I'm using the latest iCam Source and iCam app, Cams are Linksys WVC54GCA.

Herba

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2010, 01:08:54 PM »
Hi
I can see my webcams on my own wifi and with 3G on my iPhone.

The problem is I can't make it work at my parents home on there wifi. 3g works but I only have 500mb so i would rather used wifi. They have an linksys wrt310n router. I tried to disable firewall, no luck.

I will want to used this app on hotel wifi when traveling, will this work or this app only works with 3G?

Note : my parents wifi has the same name and password has mine, just in case it's possible this could cause a mix up.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 01:15:12 PM by Herba »

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2010, 03:59:50 PM »
Try putting your iPhone in the DMZ on your parent's network. If you're able to view your sources then, you'll know it's a setting in their router.

Herba

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2010, 08:57:35 AM »
Try putting your iPhone in the DMZ on your parent's network. If you're able to view your sources then, you'll know it's a setting in their router.

Tried several wifi's and it never works. Problem is I cant go change public wifi configurations...

JuanColombia

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2010, 02:16:10 PM »
Unfortunately, there is a bug in the port forwarding logic in that particular router model (F5D8236-4), so there isn't much we can do other than to submit a bug report to Belkin (which we've done in the past).  Port forwarding is supposed to bypass the router's port translation, but in this particular model, it does not.  This is the only router model we've ever seen with this behavior.

The strange thing is, we've tested the new version of iCamSource with Belkin routers, and it doesn't require port forwarding with the new network protocol.  Are you running the latest version of iCamSource (1.4.2.5)?

One test you can do to verify that the router is the cause of the problem is to connect your computer directly to your modem with an ethernet cable (temporarily).  If iCam works, that indicates the problem is with the router.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2010, 05:09:41 PM »
Herba - If iCam works correctly on your local Wi-Fi, but not on a remote network, the most common reason for the Source Connection Error is that the home and remote networks use a complex port translation technique. There is a solution, however, and that involves you forwarding ports in your router to your computer running the iCamSource. There's more information about using port forwarding with iCamSource here:  http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=402.0

tono1110

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2010, 09:18:39 AM »
i have the same problem as matty it seems that in my itouch it only works when the both are in the same network but when i leave it tells me source connection error.. how do i fix this??

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2010, 11:01:03 AM »
tono1110 - In your other post you said you were seeing the "No Sources Found" message.  If you are seeing the Source COnnection Error (not the No Sources Found error), there is a new BETA version (1.4.2.6) of iCamSource that might resolve your problem.  The new BETA version of iCamSource is available for download at:

Windows:  http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSetup1.4.2.6.exe

Mac Version - http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource1.4.2.6.dmg

If you could check the Auto-Config Router checkbox before clicking the Start button, the iCamSource will attempt to automatically forward a port in your router. When you click the Start button, what status message appears above the Auto-Config Router Port checkbox?

« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 09:39:53 PM by Stefan »

richter

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2010, 10:37:20 AM »
I've tried this beta and have the following to report:

1. This resolved an issue I had with accessing via wifi from a remote location. I did not have problems with 3g, just wifi from my work for example.
2. I attempted to use the Auto-Config Router Port option but this did not work correctly for me. I have two instances of iCamSource running for two different cameras on the same host. It appeared that one of the instances would correctly map to the router but the other one would not. It appeared to be whichever connected first. Not a big deal for me as it works fine with the portforwards in place on the firewall.

tono1110 - In your other post you said you were seeing the "No Sources Found" message.  If you are seeing the Source COnnection Error (not the No Sources Found error), there is a new BETA version (1.4.2.6) of iCamSource that might resolve your problem.  The new BETA version of iCamSource is available for download at:

Windows:  http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSetup1.4.2.6.exe

Mac (Intel-only):  http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource1.4.2.6.i386.dmg

If you could check the Auto-Config Router checkbox before clicking the Start button, the iCamSource will attempt to automatically forward a port in your router. When you click the Start button, what status message appears above the Auto-Config Router Port checkbox?

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2010, 04:42:53 PM »
richter -  What error message did it display above the "Auto-Config Router" checkbox in the second instance of iCamSource?

richter

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2010, 03:39:41 PM »
richter -  What error message did it display above the "Auto-Config Router" checkbox in the second instance of iCamSource?

I never received an error message, but I was unable to connect to one of the cameras at the time. I don't think this was due to a problem with iCamSource now though. After a good router reboot and restarting the iCamSource instances, it is working now. Thanks!

OldSaltFuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2010, 11:13:09 AM »
Works great! I appreciate the lessons as well on Forwarding ports, etc. I was able to get my desktop, my laptop, and now I'll be putting two other computers on my iCamsource Network. If I was still on the ob I would recommend this to every burglary call I went to.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D