Author Topic: Troubleshooting 102 - Source Connection Error  (Read 236107 times)

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Troubleshooting 102 - Source Connection Error
« on: August 12, 2009, 01:40:32 PM »

UPDATE - We have a new Troubleshooting page that should help explain the possible causes and solutions for many of the more common connection issues: http://skjm.com/icam/help/troubleshooting.php

PLEASE NOTE : If you are looking to troubleshoot any error message other than the Source Connection Error then please start here: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=174.0

The Source Connection Error message indicates that both iCam and the iCamSource are able to connect to the iCam Broker Server, but they are unable to connect to one another.

There are a number of reasons why iCam and the iCamSource might be unable to connect. Please find the description below that best describes your situation.

1) If you are receiving the Source Connection Error when your iPhone is connected via 3G/EDGE but you ARE able to connect via WiFi

This is the most common connectivity problem that we see with iCam. The issue is that generally both the mobile and computer networks use a complex port translation technique, making it one of the few cases where iCam doesn't "just work" out of the box.

Version 1.4.2.6 BETA and later of the iCamSource may resolve this problem.  If you are running 1.4.2.5 or earlier, the new BETA version of iCamSource is available for download at:

Windows:  http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSetup1.4.2.6.exe
Mac:  http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource1.4.2.6.dmg

If you check the Auto-Config Router checkbox (in version 1.4.2.6 and later) before clicking the Start button, the iCamSource will attempt to automatically forward a port in your router. When you click the Start button, a status message should appear above the "Auto-Config Router Port" checkbox.  If you are still getting the Source Connection Error, make sure that your router has either UPnP or NAT-PMP enabled. If you are still having problems, please send an email to support@skjm.com with the status message.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, there is another solution, and that involves forwarding ports in your router to the computer running the iCamSource.

For step-by-step instructions on how to forward ports in your router, please click here: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=402.0

2) If you are receiving the Source Connection Error when your iPhone is connected via WiFi but you ARE able to connect via 3G/EDGE

You may have more than one router on your network, each generating their own sub-networks that may not be able to connect to one another. One solution is to put the router that is not directly connected to the modem into "bridge" mode so as to not have it generate its own sub-network.

3) If you are receiving the Source Connection Error when your iPhone is connected via both WiFi and 3G/EDGE

Make sure that you are running the latest versions of iCam and the iCamSource from http://skjm.com/icam/support.php and that any security or firewall software on your computer is allowing the iCamSource to accept incoming connections. (On Mac OS X 10.5 the setting is under System Preferencess > Security > Firewall)

TIP : To test whether or not your iPhone can connect via 3G/EDGE you can temporary turn off WiFi in your iPhone's Settings, forcing it to connect via 3G/EDGE.

Still receiving the Source Connection Error? If so, then if you could go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ from the computer running the iCamSource and e-mail support@skjm.com what is says your computer's external IP address is in addition to the description above that best describes your situation then we will attempt to further troubleshoot your problem.

Thanks! :)
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 09:12:24 PM by Stefan »

daveh

• View Profile
Re: Troubleshooting 102 - Source Connection Error
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 05:45:13 AM »
Hi there.

First off, great app. I downloaded the app on my iPhone and then iCamSource on my laptop and was immediately able to see my webcam over my home Wifi network.
Second of all, well done on the troubleshooting guides.  I ran into the following problems and solved it using the guides (http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=403.0 and http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=402.0):

For those with short attention spans, just look at step 19.

1. Installed iCamSource on my laptop, entered login and password for my camera and started feed.

2. Opened iCam on the iPhone, entered same login and password and could see my webcam video using my home Wifi connection.

3. Tried to do Push Notifications on Motion Detecting but got the error "Please Note : Sending Push Notifications on Motion Detection has been turned off as there is currently no 'Push on Motion' iCam associated with this account."  This occurred whether or not Push Notifications were selected in iCamSource or through iCam.

4. Turned off Wifi on my iPhone (Settings => Wi-Fi) and tried connecting to the webcam using Edge/GPRS.  Got a Source Connection Error saying "One or more of the iCamSources returned by the iCam Broker Server could not be connected to."

5. Opened up my ZoneAlarm Free and saw that iCamSource.exe was fully authorised.

6. Scratched head.

7. Stopped iCamSource webcam feed on my laptop and enabled Port Forwarding to 12000 to 12100 range.

8. Followed the instructions for port forwarding for my router (http://portforward.com/).

9. Downloaded PFPortChecker from http://portforward.com to check that my ports were open.  They weren't.

10. Decided it must be ZoneAlarm so shut it down (right click on ZoneAlarm in system tray - Shutdown ZoneAlarm).

11. Enabled Windows Firewall (Start => Control Panel => Windows Firewall) and then clicked the Exceptions tab.

12. Added iCamSource.exe as a program (Add Program ... => Browse).

13. Reopened iCam on my iPhone.  I can now see my webcam over Edge/GPRS and can also receive Push Notifications on Motion Detection.

14. Pondered whether or not I could get ZoneAlarm Free to work too.

15. Reopened ZoneAlarm Free and clicked on Firewall => Main.  Set Internet Zone Security to Medium.

16. Tested ports using PFPortChecker.  Ports were open.

17. Tried connecting to webcam over EDGE/GPRS and home Wifi.  Was able to view webcam and receive Push Notifications.

18. Added another camera to my girlfriend's laptop but couldn't get the Push Notifications to work or view the camera over the second wireless router in her room.

19. Had a brainwave.  Maybe its just ZoneAlarm Free and nothing to do with the ports.  Deleted all port forwarding settings on my iCamSource, her iCamSource, my router and her router.  Set both my and her ZoneAlarm Free Internet Zone Security to Medium.

20.  Bingo, notifications and video work for both cams on my wifi, her wifi, EDGE and GPRS.

Woohoo!  
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:18:17 AM by daveh »

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 06:45:13 PM »
I'm glad you got it working ;D

chap

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 05:38:35 PM »
Hi, i have been reading all the posts but dont seem to be able to make it work.
I cannot connect even at home, when on the same wifi network. 
I dont have either 3g o edge to try.
Firewall is enables and allows icam, but also tried turning off firewall.
Icam v1.1.2 and source v1.3.6 .

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 11:12:23 PM »
chap - iCamSource 1.3.6 requires iCam version 1.2.1.  You can get the latest version of iCam from the Appstore.

Huck167378

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 03:17:52 AM »
I am having the same problems where I can connect when on wifi, but on 3g it gives me the source connection error. Read the port forwarding post and followed the directions, for some reason when i go to the port checking site, 12000 - 12004 are fine and open, but for 12005 it says that there is an error binding to port 12005. All the programs are up to date, I just ordered everything less than a week ago. Tried turning off firewall as well to no avail. Any suggestions?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 11:00:28 AM »
If the port checker can't bind to port 12005 then the iCamSource is probably running and using that port. :)

What make and model router do you have? Recently we have discovered that some Belkin routers don't act as they are supposed to when UDP port fowarding is enabled, causing issues when connecting from 3G even with port forwarding enabled.

We've e-mailed Belkin and have yet to receive a response.

rclinton

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 01:28:56 AM »
I am troubleshooting as per this sections instructions.  I have gotten as far as the port range forwarding on the games and applications page of my router.  I am not sure what IP address I should put in.  I am running an Lynksys WRT400N from a cable modem to a wireless computer running icamsource   How do I find the correct IP address to enter?

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 01:31:11 PM »
You should enter the private IP address of the computer running iCamSource.  Your computer's IP address is in the network settings.  If you don't know your way around those settings, it might be easier to use the IP checker available here: http://www.auditmypc.com/anonymous-surfing.asp   That page has a box that contains information about your computer.  The private IP address is at the bottom of that box.  The private IP address will probably start with a 192 or a 10.

oriste

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 08:07:03 AM »
Portforwarding in my router and poking a hole in the Mac OS X firewall perfectly did the trick for me. Thanks for a great step-by-step tutorial.

Huck167378

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2009, 11:15:43 PM »
the make and model of my Belkin is F5D8233-4V3.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 02:53:40 PM »
Unfortunately that is one of the Belkin models that other users have had issues with when it comes to port forwarding. We have still not heard back from Belkin with this issue.

Coguar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2009, 10:50:11 AM »
What you think about this idea, one icam source instance, 4 cams support ? Is there any way 2 make this ?

cya

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 05:44:31 PM »
It is definitely possible, but it hasn't been high up on our list because most users simply use it with a single webcam.

After the New Year we'll be reviewing what features to implement next, so that may be one of them. :)

matty73

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2010, 12:22:38 PM »
I just added my cameras to my computer, it works great on my wifi itouch when i am in the same room on the same network in my business. When I am in a different area of the office, on a different wifi network. i get the source connection error. I have done everything. I am only able to use wifi being an itouch. to summarize, when in the same room and on the network that the cameras are on, it works great. The moment I go to a different wifi network, i get the error. What seems to be the problem and what is the fix.