Author Topic: Troubleshooting 103 - Port Forwarding  (Read 232818 times)

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Troubleshooting 103 - Port Forwarding
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 08:29:46 PM »
Port forwarding is something that you configure once for a certain computer, and then you never change it again (hopefully).  It's not a setting that would change for different instances of iCamSource, so it doesn't really make sense to have a command line option for it. 

If iCam works on your local Wi-Fi, but not on 3G, the most common reason for the Source Connection Error is that your mobile and home networks use a complex port translation technique. The solution, as you've guessed, involves forwarding ports in your router to your computer running the iCamSource. There's more information about using port forwarding with iCamSource here:  http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=402.0

viop-ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2009, 09:30:35 AM »
Jay,

Thanks for the response.  I think the source of confusion is that the article you linked indicates that after applying a registry patch that you need to go into the GUI and check a selection box for manual port forwarding in the application.  Since I run the app as a service I will never see these options.

I will simply try to forward ports 12000-12100 as indicated and see if that resolves the issue.

Thanks,

Jason

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2009, 12:08:45 PM »
Yeah, I can see how that would indicate that those options would be available on the command line.  Even though it is in the iCamSource interface, it is a global setting, so if you enable the port range once in the interface, it will stay enabled whenever you run iCamSource (until you uncheck the checkbox).

viop-ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 12:14:40 PM »
Yeah, I can see how that would indicate that those options would be available on the command line.  Even though it is in the iCamSource interface, it is a global setting, so if you enable the port range once in the interface, it will stay enabled whenever you run iCamSource (until you uncheck the checkbox).

Thank you for the clarification!  The port forward did do the trick I can now view my feeds remotely.

If I can put one more idea in your ear it would be fantastic to be able to set this up to send motion alerts only during a specific schedule.  I would love to use this to monitor a camera at my wife's business and only send me alerts if motion is detected during evening hours.

Thanks again for the great product!

DanMumford

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 11:02:46 AM »
How do I find out what my server IP address is?
Also my wireless router is connected to a computer downstairs, and my cam is connected to my computer upstairs, does this make any difference?

viop-ninja

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2009, 11:10:34 AM »
How do I find out what my server IP address is?
Also my wireless router is connected to a computer downstairs, and my cam is connected to my computer upstairs, does this make any difference?

Go to the computer that is running the iCamSource software (assuming it's windows).  Open up a console window (command prompt) and type ipconfig.  This will give you the IP address.  Be aware that this address can change when you reboot the PC or the router.  You can set up a reservation on the router so that this PC always has the same IP which makes port forwarding easier.

debaser

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2010, 02:58:17 PM »
There was something I wanted to keep an eye on in my loft today.  Last night I buy the app, install the software, and it appeared to be working as advertised.  Only today after I left did I find that it didn't work.  I'm unhappy...this was supposed to be something that worked out of the box.  Obviously I have no idea what these people (fire alarm installers) did in my place today.

Water under the bridge, I suppose.  But get me up and running soon, please.

I tried downloading the registry thing.  Got it, double clicked it, ran it.  Closed the iPhone software and reopened it.  The port forwarding stuff is there, but greyed out so I am stuck at step one.

I have sent you guys an e-mail.  

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:53:14 PM by debaser »

kikecaceres

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 07:37:04 PM »
Hi friends !!
Finally I got it...
I followed the instructions, I opened the page of modems, chose mine, an did all the stuff and it worked...
What I´m worried about is that I´ll have to do this in every computer I want to connect to...
It was easier when it did it by itself.
Is there any possibility to fix this and make it automatically again??
Thanks.

almansur

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 01:36:01 PM »
Sorry, but my English is very bad.

I set iCamSource in an operating system Mac OS X, I have enabled forwarding for iCamSource with the command "defaults write com.skjm.icamsource PortRangeSet-bool true". My Firewall is pfSense, I've enabled NAT port 12000-12100 UDP to my internal IP, I opened the firewall rules for ports 12000-12100 UDP.

It does not work. Any ideas?

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 01:11:32 AM »
almansur - If your router is already configured for port forwarding for iCamSource, I would like to try and confirm that your port forwarding is functioning as we expect it to. If you visit this link on the computer running iCamSource...

http://portchecker.net/udp.php?p=12000

... it will open a webpage that contains a Java Applet in it (similar to iCamWeb) that will be able to listen on port 12000 for a UDP packet to be sent from a server on the Internet to your computer. If your port forwarding is functioning correctly then you should see a message saying that the port is open. If it is not functioning correctly, it should say that it is blocked.

kish

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2010, 08:13:38 AM »
Hi there,

First of  all i'm just  a novice when it comes port forwarding.
I currently reading previous  notes from this forum but  I think I'm a little bit lost.

I currently got Iphone  3gs,  I could connect  through wifi , but not through 3g.

I've currently re-installed  icamsource beta, and selected auto config for port.
After selecting auto config, I, ve got the message  upnp successful  12000-12000

but  when i try to check the port through port checker: status not open or unreacheable.

I've check the setting of my  Sagem router, went to settings, and added service  udp 12000-12100

but i cant still  acces  icam through 3g.

Thank you so much in advance

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2010, 12:58:39 AM »
kish -  Does the portchecker say that the port is open now that you've forwarded the ports manually in your router?

BrokenBelkin

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, 05:23:50 PM »

I NEED A ROUTER

this app is awesome. my router is junk. unfortunately, i have the Belkin N Wireless Router F5D8236-4, that Jay has pointed out, has port forwarding issues. everything was fine with one pc, but when i tryed to add a second pc, everything quit working. did the port forwarding, did the bla bla, changed the bla bla, uninstalled, reinstalled, thought it was working for a bit on one pc ..... now i'm done .... i'm convinced it's the Belkin since i just found out about it on the forum.
      i'm getting a new router and i'm here to get some advice on which router to buy that
     "just works"  ... let my know what you have that "just worked"

i love the support here!!!

Thank You.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 10:57:08 PM by BrokenBelkin »

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 12:41:58 AM »
That particular Belkin model is the only router we've ever seen that issue with.  We've tested successfully with most of the other major router brands, such as Linksys, Apple, Netgear, and D-Link.   We've probably done the most thorough testing with Apple and Linksys routers (specifically the Apple Airport Extreme and the Linksys WRT54G).

pr0fess0r

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2010, 04:42:44 PM »
Hi
I'm using iCamSource 1.4.2.6 beta on Mac and the Auto-Config Router option works great for me, but I seem to have to stop the app and re-check Auto-Config Router every time I run the app or reboot my Mac as it doesn't seem to remember the setting between restarts. Is there a way around this?

Cheers

Lucas