Author Topic: Playback on Iphone  (Read 6380 times)

digeratimvp

• View Profile
Playback on Iphone
« on: February 09, 2012, 10:27:25 AM »
I have 2 computers set up, one in the home, one in the workshop. On each I have the software running and the same kind of webcam on both computers.
When I pull up my iphone and see the cams, if I click on the one in the workshop, and do some playback of past captures, the rate of playback is nice and fluid, almost fast. Great. When I do the one in the home which is on a much beefier woop daddy computer, the playback is dreadfully slow. Almost at the rate of 1 pic every 2 seconds or maybe 3 seconds, this is slow.
Any idea why there is a difference?

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Playback on Iphone
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 06:13:22 PM »
Which network are you connected to, with your phone, when it is slow?

digeratimvp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
Same network right here in the house on wifi. I can view the old cam pictures in the workshop
And it's fast. If I view old cam pics from the house, they are slow

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 09:31:42 AM »
It is odd that the motion events from the computer on the same local network would play back slower than the ones on a remote computer. Since that is the case then network bandwidth is likely not the issue.

Is your home computer older or perhaps more bogged down running other things? Or perhaps the images are being stored on a USB disk as opposed to the main hard drive on your home computer? If the disk access is slower on your home computer then that could be the cause of the issue, especially if the real-time playback is as fluid from your home iCamSource when compared to your work iCamSource.

digeratimvp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 09:36:15 AM »
The computer in the shop is a low end pc but thats all its doing is icam.
The one in the house (both are on the same network) does do a lot more, but its also a beefier pc. It may be slow disk access. I just dont know. The computer is a i3 cpu with 4 gigs ram and 1 terabyte drive. Seems fine for all other things.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 08:32:03 PM »
One thing you can try is to close all of the other applications on the computer temporarily and see if that improves the playback rate of the motion events.

digeratimvp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 09:36:02 PM »
This is still an issue and I cannot figure it out.
The setup is a house and a shop in the backyard. In the house there is a computer windows 7 with icamsource 2.7.2 on it and it has 4 ip cameras.
In the shop in the backyard there is a very old windows xp computer with two usb cameras attached. The shop computer is connected to the home network via wifi.
While I use the iphone to view with icam, the playback of the two shop cameras are fast and enjoyable like a few pics a second. The playback of any of the 4 house cameras are painfully slow. It is like 1 picture every 3 or 4 seconds. Any ideas?

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 04:14:23 PM »
Does the video appear slow in iCamSource on the computer as well?  The framerate in iCamSource is determined by the camera.

What is the fps setting for each camera?  Also, what is the % CPU usage in the activity monitor when the iCamSource is running?

digeratimvp

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 04:29:48 PM »
No the video on the computer in icamsource is fine, realtime.
Two cameras are Foscam 8910W and two are 9821W v2
I am not sure how to tell the fps setting of each camera.
CPU usage seems fine. Its at 18% overall and icamsource is at 12% and using 56 megs of ram.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 09:13:58 AM »
You can adjust the frame rate of a Foscam camera by adding a parameter to the URL.

http://x.x.x.x/video.cgi?rate=<PARAM>

<PARAM> can be a value between 0 and 23, and each value corresponds to:

0:maximum
1:20 fps
3:15 fps
6:10 fps
11:5 fps
12:4 fps
13:3 fps
14:2 fps
15:1 fps
17:1 fp/2s
19:1 fp/3s
21:1 fp/4s
23:1 fp/5s

So to connect to the camera at 2 fps, you would use http://x.x.x.x/video.cgi?rate=14 … or to connect at 5 fps, you would use http://x.x.x.x/video.cgi?rate=11

The framerate should be between 1 and 5 fps.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 07:04:22 AM by Stefan »

digeratimvp

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2014, 10:02:14 AM »
I will try that on the older foscams, what about these hd ones that require me to put this in the field
http://ipaddress:port/cgi-bin/CGIStream.cgi?cmd=GetMJStream&usr=youruser&pwd=yourpassword

digeratimvp

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2014, 10:08:39 AM »
Also just to be clear, its the playback on the iphone, the VIEW MOTION EVENTS that are dreadfully slow.

digeratimvp

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2014, 10:45:28 AM »
It is also worth noting that icamsource doesnt seem to want to play too well with the newer FI9821W v2 cameras that are 720p/h.264
When you start icamsource you can see them in the iCam on the iPhone, but in the iCamSource all you see is a gray screen and below it saying "Cannot Find JPEG data. Your network ip camera nay not be supported. Please click the HELP button to verify your cameras Camera URL.
I am using this for a URL as its all I could get to work
http://IPADDRESS:PORT/cgi-bin/CGIStream.cgi?cmd=GetMJStream&usr=username&pwd=password

With these two cams, I get NETWORK CAMERA OFFLINE in iCam on the iPhone.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:49:14 AM by digeratimvp »

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2014, 11:40:40 PM »
The Foscam 9821W v2 supports H.264 and therefore is not compatible with iCamSource. Support for H.264 has been requested in the past and is currently on our list of potential features to implement in the future.

digeratimvp

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2014, 08:46:30 PM »
Ok thats fine, back to the main issue at hand. The slow playback of motion events. Why is it that the computer that does my shop that has two usb cams pluged in, plays back at an awesome speed. Its like 1 pic a sec or more and the thumbs generate fast. The house computer with 4 foscams, 2 of which are 8910s mjpeg and the other is the 9821's, the thumbnail creation and playback on iphone is 1 pic every 4 seconds. This is how its been for a very long time even before adding the two new 9821's.