Author Topic: IP Cameras in use and recommend.  (Read 4706 times)

rjgvt

• View Profile
IP Cameras in use and recommend.
« on: December 05, 2011, 06:24:04 AM »
I got my first IP camera almost a year ago and wasn't very happy with it until I read a lot of posts here. Never thought that I would be proficient at port forwarding and setting up a host domain. I just received my third IP cam and a fourth one is on the way. All cams are Airlink, I like the SkyIPCam app on my Android phone. All cams set to 2 fps and are stable.

Remote location:
Airlink AICN747W, wired to router, pointed inside for view of room by pan/tilt.
Airlink 1620W, wired to router, pointed outside.

Home location:
Airlink AICN1747W, wireless connection, pointed inside for view of room by pan/tilt.
Airlink 1620W, wireless connection, pointed inside.

SykIPCam app is cool in the event computer or Icamsource has an issue, I can still view the Airlink cams as long as there is an internet connection and the router is on.

I know this an IP cam section, but I also use 2 Logitech Pro 9000's at remote location and 1 at home. Very happy with the setup.

Update: Received the Airlink 1620W and got it set up last night. I use the following URL for all of the Airlink cams:

http://hostdomain.dyndns.org:port/cgi/mjpg/mjpg.cgi and selected the JPEG button.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 06:04:36 AM by rjgvt »

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: IP Cameras in use and recommend.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 09:33:12 AM »
Thanks for the post! :)

There is just one thing, however: If you are using the mjpg.cgi URL with your AirLinks you should use the MJPEG (not the JPEG) radio button in the iCamSource. The JPEG setting tells the iCamSource that the URL is a single image, so the iCamSource will continually disconnect and reconnect to get the next updated image frame. The MJPEG setting tells that iCamSource that the URL is an MJPEG stream, so it keeps just the single connection open and continues to receive the image frames at the specified frame rate.

Using the JPEG setting with an MJPEG URL will work, but it isn't really as efficient as it could be and it isn't really limited by the MJPEG frame rate setting, so you might be reloading the same frame a few times and just not realizing it.

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 06:35:30 PM »
Thanks for the advice about MJPEG radio button. I have seen advice in the past about using JPEG and I thought it was the better way to go. I just switched my home setup to MJPEG and will make sure it's still stable, then will make the same change to my remote setup.

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 09:18:27 AM »
I switched two Airlink cams to MJPEG on Icamsource last night and this morning I could not see them on Icam. It appeared to be fine last night. Switched them back to JPEG and all is ok again. I am using the URL as listed in the original post for this thread. Any ideas?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 02:20:42 PM »
Were the cameras visible in the iCamSource? Did you see any error messages in the iCamSource when you were unable to see them via iCam?

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 04:45:18 PM »
I was at work and had my GF stop Icamsource at home, change the two IP cams from MJPEG to JPEG and restart. I asked her about the images on Icamsource, she said there were images, but she didn't take notice if they were live or frozen. There were not any error messages that she knew of but she didn't pay much attention to detail. I have her stop/start Icamsource sometimes if I'm not home, I can't remote into my home computer. I did check both cams on SkyIPCam app on my phone before I had her make the change and they were live.