Author Topic: Icam lagging during the day.  (Read 2412 times)

rjgvt

• View Profile
Icam lagging during the day.
« on: November 07, 2011, 06:31:02 AM »
This is more of a general topic, but I could use some help.

I am having a strange issue with Icam connecting to Icamsource running on my home desktop between 6:30am and 6pm, approximately. Desktop is an older Dell with XP Home edition, 2Ghz, 2G ram, 8G of unused hard drive. I have been running Icamsource 2.3.1 for quite a while with one Logitech Pro 9000. I added an Airlink 1620W recently. During the evening until early morning, when I open Icam, I see all 3 cams at my remote location and the 2 cams at home instantly. From 6:30am to 6pm, the remote cams pop up instantly and the home cams lag. Sometimes the Logitech will come up after a minute or so and the IP cam will time out. Even when I just had the Logitech cam, it still lagged coming up.

Remote computer is getting its connection through Fairpoint DSL with a brigded modem and Netgear router. Home computer is on Comcast economy package with a Netgear router.

I did a test the other night with a Windows 7 laptop. I ran Icamsource all day using the built in webcam. It connected all day while the 2 cams on the desktop lagged or didn't connect.

Last night, I removed all unused programs on the desktop. Added Malwarebytes and did a full scan. 3 .5 hours later and 9 infected files, I rebooted it and then started Icamsource. All was fine until around 6:30am this morning. Remote cams come on immediately and home cams lag or don't connect. I suspected Comcast, but the Windows 7 laptop didn't have an issue connected wirelessly to router on same network as desktop. Desktop is running near 100% CPU when Icamsource is running, with 1 cam or 2 cams. Anyone have any ideas?

rjgvt

• View Profile
Re: Icam lagging during the day.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 09:11:42 AM »
Update:

I was suspecting that Comcast is causing my issues, not sure why. Last night I took my desktop computer to my GF's house, she has Fairpoint DSL. I connected to her Westell 7500 modem/router and fired up Icamsource with a cheesy webcam and my Airlink 1620W that is connected to my router in my house (used my host domain, what a wonderful thing!). As of right now, I can see the two cams from the desktop and the three cams from my remote location without any lag. Not sure what the deal is with Comcast, but I'll probably dump them and go with Fairpoint DSL when I get a chance in a few weeks. I get my TV from Dish Network, so no loss there.

Anyone else have a similar issue using a cable modem? Is it possible that someone in my neighborhood is chewing up the bandwidth during the daytime? I live near the end of a dead end street, only one house past mine.