Author Topic: Any chance for 2-way audio with iCam?  (Read 5377 times)

oluv

• View Profile
Any chance for 2-way audio with iCam?
« on: October 05, 2011, 01:30:55 AM »
I bought iCam as i thought it would allow audio too. Well, it does more or less, but only in one direction. I tried iCam with my internal Netbook webcam and indeed it works flawlessly and i can hear the audio recorded by the netbook microphone, but i would also like to be able to talk remotely through my netbook. Is there a chance to get this feature or is it technically possible at all?
I know there are several Ip-Cams which allow 2-way audio, so I guess this is just a limitation of iCam.

An inclusion of a further button labeled "Talk", so when pressed you can talk like through a walkie talkie, would be perfect.

If there are other solutions around, please let me know. The only thing i need is audio in both directions and either motion detection or notification when a particular noise level is reached, i don't necessarily need video.

Thanks a lot!

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Any chance for 2-way audio with iCam?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 08:48:07 PM »
Thank you for your post.

Two-way audio has been requested in the past and is currently on our list of potential features to implement in the future.

hakujin

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 10:21:21 PM »
Hello,

Just wanted to check up on this new feature as it's been almost a year now with no response on the subject here.

any timeline on the implementation of 2 way audio so that iOS device can produce sound output to the server application? this would be a most noteworthy feature and seemingly implemented with relative ease due to commonality of client device and to a person familiar w/ iCam software development.

Thanks in advance for your response.

hakujin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 12:41:48 PM »
anyone? judging by the lack of posts here, I'm left wondering if this now a legacy software product?

i would think this would be the most voted for feature since inception...

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 01:07:56 PM »
It has not been the most requested feature, and is not currently at the top of our priority list.

It would also not be an "easy" feature to implement due to the variety of platforms involved (Mac, Windows, iOS, Android, network IP cameras that support 2-way audio, etc.) each supporting different audio encoding and decoding capabilities.

hakujin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 07:44:53 PM »
i gleaned it's not on the top of the list based of the antiquity of this thread; just figured some headway had been made in a year's time.

regarding the complexities of platform interoperability, was thinking iOS is the most popular device so seems a valid starting point; would also think that 'microphone source' would not entail much beyond 'video' and 'audio source'. wouldn't that be handed off to OS iCam source? TIA for your reply. :)

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 04:21:34 PM »
Yes, iOS is the more popular platform, but if we implemented it for iOS then we would get requests from our Android users to implement it for them as well.

We would need to develop the audio capture and encoding functionality on iOS and Android in addition to the decoding / playback functionality for Mac and Windows, which are all separate code bases. The playback on network IP cameras would also require additional protocol reverse-engineering and audio re-encoding.

It simply does not make sense for us to dedicate the development at this time.

35remington

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 06:05:17 PM »
Works great on the iOS app FoscamPro. It's another $5, but pretty sweet. Also supports pan, tilt, and camera position presets.

I know, I know, I mentioned the competition. iCam would do well to mimic some of the features that FP offers, because iCam has a head start with regards to push notifications via the desktop application. C'mon guys, you can do it!

hakujin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 11:10:11 AM »
Yes, iOS is the more popular platform, but if we implemented it for iOS then we would get requests from our Android users to implement it for them as well.

We would need to develop the audio capture and encoding functionality on iOS and Android in addition to the decoding / playback functionality for Mac and Windows, which are all separate code bases. The playback on network IP cameras would also require additional protocol reverse-engineering and audio re-encoding.

It simply does not make sense for us to dedicate the development at this time.

I understand. If I may make one point however... net IP cams have other choices for audio; many have this functionality and web server functionality built in. I think the beauty and true uniqueness of your app is not just the zero config nature, but the demand from USB webcam owners, as this is really one of the few (if only) apps that works flawlessly w/ USB webcams. Besides, nothing wrong w/ support one platform a little better; happens all the time to much success across the mobile ecosystem.

hakujin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 11:14:22 AM »
Works great on the iOS app FoscamPro. It's another $5, but pretty sweet. Also supports pan, tilt, and camera position presets.

I know, I know, I mentioned the competition. iCam would do well to mimic some of the features that FP offers, because iCam has a head start with regards to push notifications via the desktop application. C'mon guys, you can do it!

Seems pretty cool, just prefer it didn't require changing out my Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000. :(

If iCam offered but this one very noteworthy feature which would be a HIT, I'd gladly pay twice as much for the app.

I use the app to watch my dogs when we are not home. To be able to tell them to 'chill-ax' would be awesome.

Ah well... the hunt continues. If I can't get this in a more universal app soon, the feature will definitely dictate the choice of future webcam/IP cam.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 03:20:32 PM »
It's not a seamless solution, but you could use Skype to call your home computer (setup to automatically answer incoming calls) and give commands over your computer speakers. Since you're using a USB camera, you can use ManyCam (free) to clone your camera feed so it can be used with iCam and Skype at the same time...that way you can see in the Skype app as you give commands.