Author Topic: Airlink 747W and port forwarding  (Read 5438 times)

rjgvt

• View Profile
Airlink 747W and port forwarding
« on: October 02, 2011, 10:06:11 AM »
I decided to start a new post since my previous issues were resolved.

I installed a desktop Windows XP Pro computer at my remote location and had 2 USB webcams and 1 IP cam (747W). Everything would work for a day or two. The IP cam kept dropping out after a day or so. The USB cams would continue to run for up to 5 days or so, then the iCamsource program would crash. I go there every weekend and will be until early December. I attempted to set up Remote Desktop on the remote computer so I could restart everything from home. No luck. I have an XP Pro laptop that I am able to Remote Desktop into from my other computers when I have it on my home network: can see it internally and externally with port 3389 forwarded in the router and using dyndns domain that I set up. Cannot see the desktop internally or externally when at the remote location. The RDP listening port is 3389. I brought the computer home for troubleshooting. The USB cams are now "dummy" cams pointed out of the windows.

Next issue: I left the IP cam connected to the router. I have DSL with a Westell 7500 modem/router that I bridged so it is just a modem now, or so I think. I then installed a Netgear router, WRN2000v2. I have the same router at home and am familiar with it. I actually installed the Netgear router last week hoping to get the IP cam stable, but still had drop out issues. Since I couldn't Remote Desktop to the remote computer, I decided to use the IP cam like it was intended for now. I forwarded port 80 to the internal IP address of the IP cam, 192.168.1.xxx. With the dyndns domain, I could see the IP cam when on my network at remote sight. I turned on Remote Management for the router and could see it when using the external IP on a laptop when on my network at remote sight. I went to a local library with WIFI and cannot see the router or IP cam. Turned off router remote management and left IP cam in place. Tried seeing it from home and cannot.

So, is there a possibilty that the Westell modem is blocking my ports when attempting to see externally? If so, does anyone have a fix?

As far as the remote desktop issue, I will work on that separately from this forum, unless someone as some ideas. I understand the basics of RDP and firewall rules, but I am defintely missing something with this computer. I bought it used and have been searching the web like crazy looking for anything to get it to work like I want. I have Norton Security Suite on it like my other 3 computers.

Thanks for any advice.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Airlink 747W and port forwarding
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 05:35:49 PM »
The library network may have just been overly restrictive. Large public networks can be very restrictive. Often, they will only allow web browsing and email.

Also, some ISPs (such as Cox) block port 80. You can try setting the camera to listen on another port, such as 8000 or 8080. You'll also need to change the port forwarding rule in your router so that it uses the new port.

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 05:21:12 AM »
Thanks for the tip. I called Fairpoint and asked them if they are blocking any ports and the lady disappeared for a bit and came back on the line and said the modem shows up without anything blocked. I've seen posts on the web saying otherwise. Will give me something to look into this weekend.

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 07:28:47 PM »
Update:

Changed the IP cam (Airlink 747w) from 30fps to 5fps. The image is much better at night now. Also changed the HTTP from 80 to 8000 and port forwarded port 8000 in the Netgear router to the IP cam IP address. I can now see the cam remotely using the web configuration on my Windows 7 laptop at a restaurant with WIFI. Can also see it from home and on my DroidX with SkyIPCam app. I did not set up the IP cam using Icamsource at the remote site as explained below.

Since I can't see my desktop computer using Remote Desktop, I'm using my XP Pro laptop temporarily at my remote site until I get the desktop re-imaged and working to use RDP. The laptop only has one good USB port and I connected the Logitech Pro 9000 to it. I tried to run the Logitech and IP cam in Icamsource on the laptop, but the laptop is weak and the Logitech image was flickering and unstable. By itself, the Logitech was stable. I connected the IP cam to Icamsource on my home computer when I got home today. It is running from remote site with a Logitech that is at home. I'm still amazed that it is possible to do this.

In the end, I can see the remote laptop, IP cam and Netgear (turned on Remote Management) all remotely. Through the different posts that I read on this site, I learned how to do port forwarding, connect the remote IP cam to my home computer Icamsource and setting up a DNS domain. Thanks to all that have given advice to me and others. I have printed up different posts so I could put it all together.

Question concerning the Airlink 747w: On the web configuration there is a Nightmode option. I turned it on from home and the image is brighter. The documentation does not make any reference to this feature. What effect will this have during the day time?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 08:04:45 AM »
Question concerning the Airlink 747w: On the web configuration there is a Nightmode option. I turned it on from home and the image is brighter. The documentation does not make any reference to this feature. What effect will this have during the day time?

The only effect you should see (based on my experience) is that the colors look somewhat washed out during the day when you have night vision enabled.

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 09:00:49 AM »
I just checked the IP cam image, which is facing indoors, and it looks ok during daylight hours. I'm much happier with the IP cam image after changing the frame rate to 5. I was hating it a couple of weeks ago. Thanks again.