Author Topic: Video capture board PCI and iCam  (Read 6098 times)

iris

• View Profile
Video capture board PCI and iCam
« on: June 29, 2009, 04:57:12 PM »
Hello,

I just want to know if is it possible to use a PCI video capture board as video input, instead of a webcam ?

And if yes, which video capture board is known to work fine with iCam ?

Thank you !

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Video capture board PCI and iCam
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 08:25:17 PM »
iCam asks the operating system (Mac or Windows) for a list of webcams connected to the computer.  If the operating system recognizes your device as a webcam, then it'll probably work.  You can test it out by downloading our free webcam serving software, iCamSource, which you can get here:  http://skjm.com/icam/support.php.   

If your device doesn't show up in the "Video" drop-down list, then the operating system doesn't recognize it as a webcam, and it won't work with iCam.

iris

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 03:12:40 AM »
Ok, thank you for your answer.

Do you know any video capture board which are recognized as a webcam ? It would be great for me to know which one to buy. Thank you !

iris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 06:18:13 AM »
It seems that the Hauppauge WinTV Express is recognized as a webcam ; maybe you can confirm that point ?

Thank you.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 10:18:39 AM »
Unfortunately, we haven't tested iCam with any PCI capture cards.  Hopefully other users have tried PCI capture cards and can give some useful feedback.

dacarter

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 07:32:31 PM »
I have a Hauppauge Win TV 885  board and it shows in the drop down, but video does not work.  Any advice?  I'd really like to make use of your app, especially after the recent news story.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 08:33:28 PM »
Do any other users have experience with the Hauppauge Win TV 885 capture card? Unfortunately we are much more familiar with USB, FireWire, and Built-In webcams as well as the various network IP cameras available.

How is the capture device described in the iCamSource drop-down? Do you usually access it using proprietary capture software? Or does it work with other common video capture applications?

dacarter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 09:07:59 PM »
It's described just as I typed it. 

I normally access the device from WebCamXP, a program that makes the video feed available on the internet/iPhone.

dacarter

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 07:21:43 AM »
Well I feel stupid.  I didn't notice that you had to enter an ID & PW and click Start.  Just tried that and it works fine... Now to buy the app.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2010, 07:42:37 AM »
Glad to hear it! :)

dacarter

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2010, 11:29:32 AM »
Got the app and am very happy with it.  This is going to work well for me, but I would not have bought it without the scheduling.

Question:  If I turn off push notifications from the iphone remotely, do they automatically turn back on when the next ON schedule occurs?  I'm hoping so.  My situation is that I want to know when the kids get home from school, but may need to turn it off once they are home, but don't want to have to remember to turn it back on the next day.

Also, for testing motion sensitivity, it would be nice to have the motion indicator on the main tab with the video image. 

Ok, one more, if a future release could allow masking off of areas of the image, like DVRs do, that would be very useful.

dacarter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 11:36:46 AM »
Thought of one more, a motion interval would be great, so if motion is detected, and the interval is set to 1 minute, it would do nothing for another minute.  That raises the question, what is the current interval between push notifications?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2010, 05:58:39 PM »
dacarter - Yes, if you manually turn the push notifications off (either through iCam or the iCamSource) they will turn back on during the next schedule. (The scheduling is more of a "at this time, make the push notification and record motion events settings *this*" so it doesn't really matter what the previous / current state of them is when the scheduled item occurs.)

As for the "motion interval" the fastest the iCamSource will currently send Push Notifications is once a minute.

Thanks for the additional feedback as well. :)