Author Topic: 2 cams 1 laptop  (Read 12107 times)

djnr

• View Profile
2 cams 1 laptop
« on: June 21, 2009, 03:14:56 PM »
I have a macbook pro and the new apple display which has a built in isight too, how can i stream from both those cameras? right now it only lets me select one, the reason, well, i can move my display to a different angle...is that possible?

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2 cams 1 laptop
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 04:33:50 PM »
Many users have had success viewing multiple cameras on the same computer by running multiple instances of iCamSource.

To do that on a Mac, you'll need to make a copy of the iCamSource application for each camera.  First, run the first iCamSource and set up the first camera.  Then run the second copy of iCamSource and set up the second camera.  Make sure that all instances of iCamSource have the exact same login and password entered.

nagyg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 07:17:45 AM »
I have the same setup: 2 USB cameras on a laptop. But when I try running 2 instances of iCam one of the 2 camera views will be black. I need to stop the other instance to get a picture. Both cameras have the same name: USB Video Device. Is there a way to make both work at the same time?

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 10:22:04 AM »
It should work even if both devices have the same name.  Make sure you pick the appropriate entry in each iCamSource.  For example, if you pick the first "USB Video Device" in the list in the first iCamSource window, then pick the second "USB Video Device" in the list in the second iCamSource window.

nagyg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 12:17:14 PM »
Nope, I can only get one instance to show a picture. On the 2nd one the color of the window changes from grey to black - but no picture. I have to stop the 1st instance and stop and restart the 2nd and then I get the picture .....

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2009, 01:39:34 PM »
When you stop and restart the 2nd iCamSource one, does it show the images from the same camera that the 1st iCamSource was just showing?  I'm trying to determine if you have the same camera selected in both iCamSources, because this is exactly how it would act if you did.  If you aren't sure, point the two cameras at two totally different things, so you can tell them apart.  Then do what you just described, open both iCamSources, stop the first instance, then stop and restart the 2nd instance.  Do the different instances show different images or do they show the same image?

nagyg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 06:13:33 AM »
They show different images ...

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 09:38:31 AM »
What Brand/Model are the webcams?

Please try updating the webcam drivers.

jimpro

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 10:48:13 AM »
I too am having a problem getting 2 instances of iCam installed.  When I attempt to install the second instance it asks if I want to repair or delete the existing installation.
How do I get a second install so I can run 2 camera at once.
Thanks.
Jim

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 09:02:23 PM »
You don't need to install the iCamSource twice, you simply need to run it twice. :)

Just double-click the iCamSource shortcut twice to run two instances of the program.

jimpro

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2009, 07:58:16 AM »
Duhhhh!  How embarrassing!  I certainly should have been able to figure that out myself.
Thanks for tolerating my ignorance.  (works fine now)

Jim

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2009, 08:20:12 AM »
No worries, and thanks for the update. :)

dafuser

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2009, 02:42:25 PM »
Many users have had success viewing multiple cameras on the same computer by running multiple instances of iCamSource.

To do that on a Mac, you'll need to make a copy of the iCamSource application for each camera.  First, run the first iCamSource and set up the first camera.  Then run the second copy of iCamSource and set up the second camera.  Make sure that all instances of iCamSource have the exact same login and password entered.
I'm able to run multiple instances of cameras from my iMac. If I quit the iCam applications only the first iCam application will restart and keep the settings for that particular camera.

When I start the second instance, I have to put in the userid and passwords as well as the URL for the network camera. I named the second instance iCamsource2
but it doesn't seem to save any settings. Both cameras work fine and I can see both of them in the iPhone app.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2009, 04:16:08 PM »
Are you running the latest version of the iCamSource, 1.3? It should keep track of the login, password, and network camera URL for each application path. (If you rename the application then you will have to re-enter that information.)

dafuser

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 10:01:38 PM »
Are you running the latest version of the iCamSource, 1.3? It should keep track of the login, password, and network camera URL for each application path. (If you rename the application then you will have to re-enter that information.)
Yes. I'm running the current version of iCamSource (1.3). I think both iCamSource apps are now working alright, both are saving the camera configurations now, even after I a reboot.

Very nice application, I can now monitor my cameras from work using my iPhone. I think I'll add a third camera since the app can handle up to four cameras.

Any minor problems I had were because I didn't read the FAQ, or look thru the forums to find the solutions. Duh!!