Author Topic: IP cam and webcam conflict  (Read 5643 times)

rjgvt

• View Profile
IP cam and webcam conflict
« on: August 16, 2011, 10:23:41 AM »
I have a Logitech Pro 9000 connected to a Dell XP desktop computer running iCamsource with no issues. I also have an Airlink 747W that I can connect hardwired to the Netgear router with no issues, but cannot get them on at the same time on Icam. This was a few months ago that I was attempting this and gave up when summer arrived. I've just been running the Pro 9000 for a few months.

Fast forward to now. I purchased a used XP desktop to be used at a remote location connected to a DSL modem/router. Instead of going the "port forwarding" route, I decided to have a desktop there (minus the keyboard, mouse and monitor) with a webcam and the Airlink 747W running iCamsource. I will have the 747W pointed inside and a webcam pointed out of a window. I have been testing the new desktop at home connected to the Netgear router and I have the same issue as my other desktop: I can run a webcam (Intel Pro) solo or the IP cam solo, but not both together.

My initial thoughts are router related, but I'm not sure. Any ideas? Is my logic flawed for having a remote computer without port forwarding to be able to see two cams? Thanks.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: IP cam and webcam conflict
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 07:11:50 PM »
Are you able to add both cameras in icamsource? In other words, can you view the video feed for both cameras in icamsource (not iCam) once you hit the "start" button?

If you are able to see both cameras in icamsource, but not in the iCam app on your phone, then it is likely a port forwarding issue. Also, what version of icamsource are you using? The newer version that requires only one instance of icamsource, or the older version that requires an instance for each camera?

Finally, do you have "auto config router" selected in icamsource? And is uPNP enabled in your router?

You shouldn't have an issue using one computer running icamsource to serve up 2 or more cameras (depending on your hardware abilities). With that being said, I think I've seen several posts about issues getting the Logitech Pro 9000 working properly with icamsource. I don't remember exactly what the problem was. Then again, it could be a different Logitech webcam.

Answer the above questions, and the SKJM guys (or me) might be able to help you better.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 10:49:03 PM »
Also, you can view multiple cameras from different computers simultaneously if you use the exact same login and password for all of the cameras.  When you use that same login/password in iCam on your iPhone, it will show all of the cameras that are using that exact login/password.

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 05:17:30 AM »
I only had a little time to check it out last night. UPNP is enabled on the router. I tried selecting "auto config router" and still get errors for the IP cam. I also have the newer version of icamsource. Each time I tried to start icamsource with both cams, the webcam would function and the IP cam would get an error. I tried the the different URLs that are listed on this site with no luck. The Airlink IP cam works with the Airlink utility software.

SKJM, thanks for the info. It looks like if I can get both cams to function simultaneously on one computer, my remote location experiment will work.

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 05:57:42 PM »
I resolved my issue today. I was able to get the webcam and the Airlink 747W both on at the same time. I kept having a conflict adding a cam, iCamsource acted like it was the same cam being added and would delete one. I messed around and finally got both cams on and have been on without issues for about 6 hours. I did have to change the URL from MJPEG to JPEG to keep the IP cam from getting bright like contrast flashing, even though it is not visible with the Airlink utility software. Auto-config is off.

I'm happy with the Logitech Pro 9000 that is on my other desktop, so I ordered one for the new to me desktop to use at my remote location with the IP camera. Hopefully all will work together. I'm going to try the Logitech at home with the IP cam before attempting set-up at remote loacation.

Next question: will a Westech DSL modem/router be a problem with this set-up at remote location? I plan to hard-wire the IP cam to the router with a Cat-5 cable so there is no wireless issues. Thanks.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 02:30:15 PM »
We haven't tested with that particular modem/router but we've not heard of any specific issues from users.

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 05:44:57 AM »
I think the remote location DSL modem/router is Westell, not Westech. I can't see it when I'm at home.  :-[

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 10:42:42 PM »
Do you now have the Westell router set up at the remote location?

If so, what error message are you seeing when you are unable to connect: No Sources Found, Broker Connection Error, or Source Connection Error? Are you having problems connecting when your phone is connected via 3G, WiFi, or both?

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2011, 08:20:05 PM »
The Westell router/modem is in place at the remote location. I have the new desktop working with two cams (IP and a webcam) at my home. Home setup is cable modem feeding a Netgear router. I am currently not having any issues.

I hope to move the new desktop, IP cam and webcam to the remote location in a few weeks. I travel there every 2 to 3 weeks. I'm waiting for a new Logitech Pro 9000 to arrive from an ebay vendor.

When I said I couldn't see it when I'm at home, I meant that I could not physically see the make/model of the DSL modem/router. Sorry for the confusion.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 10:39:50 AM »
No problem. We just wanted to be sure. Thanks again and glad things are working for you.

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 09:11:39 PM »
Installed the new desktop, Airlink 747W and Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 at my remote location today. Everything went well and can see both cams on phone app. The Logitech image is very good. Only one issue. The 747W image is crappy. I bought a 50' cat6 network cable (Staple's brand) and the image is very grainy. I did not test the cable at home, my mistake. The camera had a very good image when used with a different network cable at home. I left the setup as is for now. The night IR image is worse than the daytime image. I'm going to bring back the Staple's cable and return it. Any recommendations for a good network cable? I need at least 30'. The 50 footer was the only cable over 15'.

EDIT: I also used a network cable that came with the DSL modem/router in between the computer and router. Cable was originally used for modem/router setup. It has a funky end on it for the computer end, Y with a USB and regular RJ45 connector. I did not use this cable with the IP cam at home, so this cable may be the cause of a poor image on the cam. I'll be back to the remote location this coming weekend with cables in hand to resolve the issue. Hopefully it's a cable issue and not a modem/router issue. As of this morning, both remote cams are on.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 09:16:48 AM by rjgvt »

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 04:48:43 PM »
I traveled to my remote location this past weekend. Last week we had a major storm go through the area. I think the power glitched and lost the Icamsource program. I have the computer set up to power back on when the power fails, but the computer needs to be logged in to get Icamsource to autostart. Next trip there, I plan on setting up Remote Desktop so I can see the computer from home.

I added a cheesy webcam to the setup which is now an Airlink 747W pointed inside, Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 pointed outside and the cheesy webcam pointed inside. Two days later, the Airlink 747W locked up. It did this last week also before the power glitched the computer. I updated the firmware after I purchased it. I found that seeing a good night time image at 20' across the room was a little optimistic. It was better at 8' and that's where I mounted it pointed at the door.

Questions:

Is the 747W known for locking up? I am using it wired and disabled the wireless feature in the setup.

What is realistic night vision with the 747W? Would an IR illuminator help increase the night vision across 20'?

Thanks in advance.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2011, 01:54:06 PM »
We've tested with that particular camera and we've not had any issues with it locking up.

The night vision pretty much works as well as the IR LEDs on the camera. I would imagine that an IR illuminator would help, yes.

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2011, 05:44:32 PM »
I had very little issues with the Airlink when I had it at home wired to my Netgear router. It is wired to a Westell modem/router at my remote location. I'm wondering if the issue is the router. I do have another router (older Linksys) that is not being used. I might bridge the Westell and use the Linksys.