Author Topic: icam  (Read 4118 times)

mountaindew

• View Profile
icam
« on: December 23, 2008, 01:59:44 PM »
I just bought it a few minutes ago. Tried it on my macbook pro with my iphone over wifi. SWEET!  :) Cool! Nothing to it. Pretty much plug -n- play! :)

Just wanted to report that I'm impressed with fps (frames per second) over the wifi network is pretty fast...around 12 per second. Not too shabby!

I understand that using the 3G or EDGE would lower the fps somewhat, haven't tried it yet but will do when I go out in my car.

I have a couple of macs at home, I've always wanted to have a security camera where I could keep an eye on things at my house. Would it work if I simply connect a older camcorder with a firewire input into one of my computers at home and stream to my iphone? Of course I'd have to install the icalsource onto my other computer. Type in the same user and password. I'm at my office right now and I'm eager to try it out at home. Just wanted to know if anybody has tried this? Thinking of setting up the camcorder out of our window on our driveway by our door.

I just realize this...you could even watch tv if you put the camcorder in front of a tv and watch your games or movies. If only the sounds would come soon! SWEET! The possibilities are endless! :)

Such a sweet application! Keep up the good work!

mountaindew
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 02:03:18 PM by mountaindew »

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: icam
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 02:57:09 PM »
mountaindew - Thanks for the great feedback and kind words. :)

To answer your question, yes, it does work with FireWire-connected DV cameras as long as your Mac is running OS X 10.5 (Leopard) or later.

I hope that answers your question.

Thanks again!  ;D

mountaindew

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 03:07:57 PM »
Just thought of something you could possibly add on your next upgrade...

Maybe you could add something like an option on the icamsource software to have a drop down menu that would activate the "start" whenever motion is detected? That way, it'd show and pop up on the iphone on the thumnail size of the 4 if something showed up on my driveway? Just a thought.  ;D

Keep up with the great work and keep em coming! :)

mountaindew

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2008, 02:22:19 AM »
When we first thought of this program, it was going to be a motion detection program that notified you when motion was detected.  That was back when Apple said there were going to be push notifications in the iPhone 2.0 firmware.  Well, they pulled out the push notifications, so we turned it into a straight webcam program. 

If Apple ever puts the notification stuff back in, we're definitely interested in putting some motion detection in there.

mountaindew

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 09:03:45 AM »
Sweet! Looking forward to that!

Merry xmas, and happy holidays to all! :)