Author Topic: Mac OSX 10.7 "Lion"  (Read 9728 times)

Doug in Los Angeles

• View Profile
Mac OSX 10.7 "Lion"
« on: July 20, 2011, 12:56:34 PM »
Hi SKJM--

Can you tell me if iCamSource 2.2.3, or any of the beta versions, are compatible with the new Mac OS that was just released today? I've looked at a compatibility page (roaringapps.com) but didn't see you on there. Thanks for the great work--

Doug

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Mac OSX 10.7 "Lion"
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »
We haven't found any issues or problems with any versions of the iCamSource running on Lion in our testing. :)

kyeck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 08:18:39 PM »
I just upgrade to Lion on my Mac Mini and iCamSource 2.2.3 is pegged at 98%+ CPU utilization.  Somethings up!   :(

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 10:20:17 PM »
I was reading about a glitch with Adobe Flash in the new OS...Adobe said it's possibly because Lion (apparently) disabled hardware acceleration. You might try exiting icamsource, enabling hardware acceleration in the settings, and then restarting icamsource.

DWalla

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 03:32:54 PM »
I was reading about a glitch with Adobe Flash in the new OS...Adobe said it's possibly because Lion (apparently) disabled hardware acceleration. You might try exiting icamsource, enabling hardware acceleration in the settings, and then restarting icamsource.

Adobe has retracted that claim.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 04:11:20 PM »
What are the specifications of your Mac and what camera(s) are you using with the iCamSource?

Version 2.2.3 of the iCamSource using the Built-In iSight and running on a Late 2008 13-inch Aluminum MacBook 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo with 4 GB of RAM running OS X 10.7 uses around 10% CPU with Motion Detection enabled and detecting "More Often" with the iCamSource Preferences window closed.

(Closing the iCamSource Preferences window does improve CPU usage because the preview image does not need to be rendered.)

Witti

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 04:28:04 AM »
Same issue with my MacMini.
The iCamSource-window is closed and motiondetection is disabled.

Here some additional information:
Mac: http://s.wittberger.net/8ouc (screenshot about this mac window)
Cam: Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910 => http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam-communications/webcams/devices/6816

Process analysis of iCamSource: http://s.wittberger.net/8oJr (text-file)
Process detail view: http://s.wittberger.net/8pA0 (screenshot)

I hope this information is helpful.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 08:00:09 AM »
I only see 8-9% CPU when using our Logitech Pro 9000 (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam-communications/webcams/devices/6333) and 12-13% CPU with our Microsoft LifeCam HD-5001 (http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/p/lifecam-hd-5001/GNF-00001) but do see over 80% CPU usage with our Logitech HD Webcam C510 (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support-downloads/downloads/webcams/devices/6817).

Motion detection processing does not seem to be the issue, because disabling motion detection entirely did not result in a significant CPU usage reduction.

I also tried running PhotoBooth using the Built-In iSight (4-5% CPU) and the Logitech Pro 9000 (3-4% CPU) but when I used it with the Logitech HD Webcam C510 the CPU usage was 40-50% so it looks like it is an issue between the new OS and certain webcams.

Running the iCamSource with the Logitech HD Webcam C510 on a Snow Leopard (Mac OS X 10.6.7) machine resulted in normal CPU usage numbers similar to other webcams, so this is a Lion-specific issue for certain types of webcams.

We will look into this issue further, but there may not be much we can do since it appears to be an OS issue as other webcam applications are effected.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 09:46:05 AM »
In our preliminary testing it appears to be an issue with the audio stream coming from the camera. If you choose "No Audio" in the iCamSource do you see a large drop in the % CPU usage?

UPDATE: Actually, it may not be an audio issue, because on my Mac Pro when I select the Logitech C510 in the development version of the iCamSource I see a large amount of jpegdecompress_MPLoop threads created by the system waiting in a JPEG_CComponentDispatch function ... So it is likely due to how Lion / QuickTime does the back-end processing of the video stream coming from the camera.

UPDATE 2: When running Photo Booth with my 27" Cinema Display's Built-In iSight the VTDecoderXPCService helper process is jumping between 35-45% CPU. This seems to be an issue with Lion's video handling back-end. Hopefully 10.7.1 will fix this issue.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:18:27 PM by Stefan »

DWalla

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 05:11:36 PM »
In our preliminary testing it appears to be an issue with the audio stream coming from the camera. If you choose "No Audio" in the iCamSource do you see a large drop in the % CPU usage?

UPDATE: Actually, it may not be an audio issue, because on my Mac Pro when I select the Logitech C510 in the development version of the iCamSource I see a large amount of jpegdecompress_MPLoop threads created by the system waiting in a JPEG_CComponentDispatch function ... So it is likely due to how Lion / QuickTime does the back-end processing of the video stream coming from the camera.

UPDATE 2: When running Photo Booth with my 27" Cinema Display's Built-In iSight the VTDecoderXPCService helper process is jumping between 35-45% CPU. This seems to be an issue with Lion's video handling back-end. Hopefully 10.7.1 will fix this issue.

I have the same CPU usage issue on our 27" iMac i7 as well.... 25-30% usage with iCamSource or PhotoBooth. I'm suspecting an OS issue here.

nigels0

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 07:47:30 AM »
I'm having iCamSource crashing regularly - maybe every day at least once, sometimes inelegantly, requiring a reboot before being able to start iCamSource again.

Is there some sort of log I can send which will help diagnose the issue?

cheikkila

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 07:40:51 PM »
i might be having a similar problem. my icamsource is almost flashing off and on every 30 minutes or so. the iPhone app doesn't see any sources, then does sometimes. also, the app on the mac mini is up and down. the light on the web cam appears for a short time, then disappears. all after installing lion.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 09:39:53 PM »
I'm having iCamSource crashing regularly - maybe every day at least once, sometimes inelegantly, requiring a reboot before being able to start iCamSource again.

What is the the % CPU usage of the iCamSource application?

Also, if you Stop iCamSource and run Photobooth, is it running at a high CPU %?

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 12:43:49 AM »
i might be having a similar problem. my icamsource is almost flashing off and on every 30 minutes or so. the iPhone app doesn't see any sources, then does sometimes. also, the app on the mac mini is up and down. the light on the web cam appears for a short time, then disappears. all after installing lion.

Same questions:

nigels0

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 01:24:42 AM »

ICamSource uses About 10% of CPU, stopping that and using photo booth; photo booth uses about 2%.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 02:17:27 PM by nigels0 »