Author Topic: Various webcam on only one computer  (Read 8348 times)

cedoch

• View Profile
Various webcam on only one computer
« on: February 03, 2009, 07:39:54 AM »
Is it possible to control various webcam from only one computer ? One would be the iSight, another a USB webcam, and another a Wifi webcam...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 07:46:17 AM by cedoch »

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Various webcam on only one computer
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 09:05:58 AM »
Yes, it is possible: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=8.0  ;D

The only thing is that the iCamSource does not currently support WiFi cameras, only Built-In and hard-wired USB or Firewire ones.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2009, 08:01:25 AM »
Firewire is simply an alternative to USB: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FireWire

The most popular Firewire webcam I can think of is the discontinued (but still much-coveted) external Apple iSight webcam: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/iSight

pstott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 05:03:52 PM »
Doing it right now with a Linksys Wireless Camera and a USB Camera using ICAM Source 1.2 Beta. Works great.

Paul

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 09:12:49 PM »
Great to hear, thanks. :)

Ransak

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 06:02:46 PM »
It appears to work with two Zonet 7630W (WiFi IP) streams and two instances of iCamSource 1.2.2 beta running.

manelserra

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2009, 04:06:10 PM »
I am using a ELRO system - www.elro.eu (think it's dutch manufactured): It has two C950D wireless cameras and a receiver that connects  to TV using a Video/Sound cable, DVR (same connection) or Computer via USB.
I have several problems and questions,
1 - After functioning for a while alternating between the cameras, the iCam Source stops and frezees on the image of one of the cameras.
2 - On my iPhone the iCam Application shows a screen divided in four. Is it possible to see both cameras in QUAD vision ( both cameras at the same time ) like we can see it on the TV screen when the receiver is plugged using the video/sound cable ?
3 - What is the Auto-Start for in the iCam Source Preferences ?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2009, 06:00:10 PM »
manelserra - I am assuming that the USB connection comes up as a single connection on the iCamSource drop-down? Or are there multiple ones?

1. How long is it before it freezes? How does the iCamSource "alternate" between the two cameras? Is that a function of the receiver, that it alternates back and forth between the feeds? Are you running the Mac or Windows version of the iCamSource?
2. I am not sure what it looks like on your TV screen, but on iCam you can connect up to 4 cameras at the same time and view them all simultaneously. Each camera would have to be connected to a separate iCamSource, as that is what iCam connects to.
3. The Auto-Start option means that when the iCamSource application is run it will automatically connect to the last video and audio inputs that were selected and simulate the clicking of the "Start" button.

manelserra

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 03:43:31 PM »
Stefan - many thanks for your quick answer. I'll try to answer your questions as well as possible.
Yes, the USB connection from the receiver to the iCam Source is a single one. It is the receiver with a surely very basic software that alternates between the cameras and features Quad enabling the images from the two cameras to be seen simultaneously on a TV set, not on the computer.
1 - It freezes in about 30 seconds to two minutes. As told above, it is a function of the receiver that alternates back and forth between the feeds. I am using the Windows version of iCamSource, since on my Macbook Pro the Mac version of iCamsource doesn't receive info from this receiver - I suppose the Receiver software installed from factory must be windows-based ?
2. - Does that mean that I must have two iCamSource working each to his camera ? And the two cameras must be plugged by two USBs ? That's a bit complicated...
3. - In spite of a surely good explanation about the function of "auto-start", still don't understand very well, .... sorry.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 05:59:51 PM »
iCam and the iCamSource are designed to work with USB and Built-In webcams in addition to a select number of network IP cameras.

Your ELRO system seems to be a different type altogether, so that is why using it with the iCamSource seems a bit confusing or complicated. Usually, to connect to more than one camera, you run one iCamSource per camera. In your situation, it is the receiver device that is acting as an intermediary between the multiple cameras and the computer, so running more than one iCamSource doesn't make sense since there is only 1 USB connection from the receiver.

Are you able to view the receiver's video within another application other than the iCamSource? I am unsure if it is the receiver software / drivers or the iCamSource that is freezing, so if you tried it with another application we could narrow down the possibilities. Are your drivers for the receiver up-to-date?

As or the Auto-Start option, let me explain it a different way. If Auto-Start is not checked, when you run the iCamSource, you have to click the Start button before you see video in the preview window. Clicking the Start button "starts" the iCamSource, allowing it to accept connections from iCam and transmit video. On the other hand, if Auto-Start IS checked, then you don't have to click the Start button after running the iCamSource to allow it to accept connections from iCam and transmit video.