Author Topic: Does it support wireless video camera?  (Read 20541 times)

kylehusky

• View Profile
Does it support wireless video camera?
« on: December 20, 2008, 02:57:47 AM »
Wondering if iCam support wireless camera, such as the Linksys Wireless-G Internet Video Camera... thanks a lot!

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Does it support wireless video camera?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2008, 11:11:10 AM »
I'm glad you asked.  Several users have asked this, so it'll be good to have the info in the forum  :)

Currently, iCam supports USB, Firewire, DV camcorders, and built-in cams on Mac OS X and USB and built-in cams on Windows.  We don't support any network/wifi cams.  The reason for this is that there is no communication standard for network cams.  Each brand of network cam uses their own proprietary communication, which means we would have to develop separately for each brand of network cam.

That said, we'll develop pretty much any requested feature as long as there's enough user interest to justify the development effort.  So, if there seems to be a lot of user demand for network cam support, we may end up adding it in the future.

I hope that answers your question.

macfarlane12

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 02:27:14 PM »
I'd love to see Linksys Wireless-G support as well!!!!!!!!   ;D

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 06:35:36 PM »
Noted  :D

forest

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »
I too would appreciate a Linksys Wireless G support. I have two of their cameras and would like to add a few.

Do I understand it correctly that even though I can see my Linksys Wireless G cameras on my computer monitor that I cannot utilize iCam to view it on my iphone? You are not referring to whether it will connect directly to the iphone/camera wirelessly, but whether we can connect via the computer and it's network, right? If this is the case, please let me know when/if it will work and I will purchase a copy asap. I am even willing to pay more for this ability.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 08:02:28 PM »
iCam currently supports any cam recognized by Windows or Mac OS as a video source.  This generally includes built-in cams, USB cams, and for Mac, firewire cams.  It's not that we specifically block the Linksys from working, it's just that the OS doesn't recognize network cams, such as the Linksys, as video sources.

alphabeta2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 10:48:43 PM »
add one more in support of the Linksys wifi cams! Sure would be nice!
This is a great app! And worth every penny and then some! Like someone
above said, I'd be willing to pay more to have the wifi cam support also,
since thats what we have most of through the house!!

Let me know if you need testers too, for that app, should you
(PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!) develop it!!!!

az_drummer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 07:43:57 PM »
What a cool app!  I can't wait to show the gang at work.   ;D

Extremely interested in wi-fi cam support and would pay extra for this feature.  I'll purchase whichever camera you chose to support.

CaminDFW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2009, 03:23:24 PM »
+1 to support the Linksys G camera!!!!    :)

RonHinNY

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2009, 07:34:16 PM »
Another vote for Linksys Wireless G - I have 6 deployed.

Oceanbeat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 12:16:14 PM »
On Macs, maybe the CamTwist-App could be a solution. This is a Video-Routing Software for OSX. HavenĀ“t testet that though...

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 12:38:57 PM »
I tried CamTwist, it worked fine for me.  On Windows, there's a program called ManyCam that does the same thing. 

With both of these programs, you can have your desktop (or just a portion of your desktop, like a window) show up as a webcam to the OS.  I tried both of them with iCamSource on Mac and Windows, and they both worked for me.

chuckster

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 10:50:11 PM »
I tried CamTwist, it worked fine for me.  On Windows, there's a program called ManyCam that does the same thing. 

With both of these programs, you can have your desktop (or just a portion of your desktop, like a window) show up as a webcam to the OS.  I tried both of them with iCamSource on Mac and Windows, and they both worked for me.

Sadly, using ManyCam on Win XP seems to break iCam, requiring a reboot to get it working again.  ManyCam is a great tool.  I can use it with Skype on calls, but it crashes my iCam.  FIXED IT.  The problem was caused with my Cisco VPN client.  You need to connect iCam first, then bring up the VPN.  All works well as long as you start with iCam first.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 12:23:11 PM by chuckster »

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 02:08:54 AM »
chuckster,

Thanks for the info.  As I mentioned, ManyCam worked for me when I tried it once on my Windows computer, but that's not exactly comprehensive testing  :)

Does iCamSource work correctly when you use it with a standard built-in or USB webcam?

chuckster

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 12:24:52 PM »
chuckster,

Thanks for the info.  As I mentioned, ManyCam worked for me when I tried it once on my Windows computer, but that's not exactly comprehensive testing  :)

Does iCamSource work correctly when you use it with a standard built-in or USB webcam?

I solved my problem.  If my Cisco VPN client is running, then iCam won't work.  If I start iCam first, then bring up the VPN - even using ManyCam to capture video (using the desktop mode) from a VPN connection, all works fine.