Author Topic: Possible AT&T 3G Changes Coming for iOS Devices Running iCam?  (Read 112263 times)

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
This past month we have received a handful of reports from long-time iCam users who are suddenly having problems connecting via AT&T's 3G network. In troubleshooting one user's issue, we discovered that my iPhone was able to connect via AT&T 3G to their iCamSource, but Jay's was not.

In looking through the iCam Broker Server logs we were able to see that Jay's iPhone was connecting to AT&T's 3G network in a way that was much more "complex" than mine. Since iCam's zero-config connection logic depends how complex the iCam and iCamSource networks are to function correctly, a significant change in the complexity of AT&T's 3G network is going to have an effect for some users where things used to "just work" without any additional configuration.

This was also an issue back when iPhone OS 3.0 came out ... AT&T's 3G network was pretty basic with iPhone OS 2.x, but with iPhone OS 3.0 the connections became more complex, causing connectivity issues for some users. Now it looks like AT&T's 3G network is starting to transition to an even more complex network structure, and they may be rolling it out in different markets around the country.

The only difference between Jay's iPhone and my own (at least as far as we can tell) is where they are physically located: Mine is in Central Arizona, and Jay's is in Southern California.

One way to determine whether your iPhone is connecting via the "older, moderately complex method" versus the "newer, extremely complex method" is to visit http://whatismyipaddress.com/ in Mobile Safari from your iPhone when it is connected via 3G. If the reported IP address starts with "166" then it is most likely the "moderate" network. If your IP address starts with "198" then it is most likely the "extreme" network.

In our testing we were able to replicate the situation where my iPhone could connect to a test iCamSource via 3G where Jay's could not, and the only thing that we needed to change was to tick the "Auto-Config Router" checkbox in the iCamSource, so depending on your router you may have to enable UPnP or manually forward a range of ports to get things working again if your phone starts connecting via the "extreme" method. Luckily the iCam "zero-config" connection logic does still work with some routers (like the newer Apple AirPorts) even when the iPhone is connecting via the "extreme" method, so your mileage may vary.

The reason for this forum post is to 1) Notify our users of a potential change to AT&T's network that may effect iCam's ability to connect without any additional configuration, and 2) To try and determine the scope of the change. Since this appears to be an AT&T-specific issue, Verizon and other carriers around the world probably will not be effected. It's really too early to say at this point, but if you are on AT&T in the US and would like to help us gather more information, we would greatly appreciate it. If you could reply to this post (or e-mail us at support@skjm.com) with:

1) Whether your external 3G IP address as reported by http://whatismyipaddress.com/ starts with "166" or "198"
2) Where your general geographic location is in the United States (City & State)

We may have more questions as we go along, but for now that's a good starting point.

Thanks! :)

UPDATE : We now have confirmed reports that even some 166.x.x.x IP addresses are also part of an "extreme" network. (These networks are in California and Florida.) I continue to see a 166.x.x.x IP here in Arizona that is still "moderate" as we continue to monitor this situation.

UPDATE #2 : I am now seeing "extreme" network 166.x.x.x IP addresses here in Arizona, so it looks like AT&T is continuing its roll-out to different parts of the country.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 09:51:45 PM by Stefan »

Pontihog

• View Profile
Re: Possible AT&T 3G Changes Coming for iOS Devices Running iCam?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 05:44:19 PM »

1) Mine starts with 198
2) Wilmington, DE

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 08:45:16 PM »
Thanks for the info, Pontihog.

Yours is actually the first 198 we have heard of that wasn't in Southern California.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 12:16:42 PM »
So for we have reports of 198 IP addresses from Southern California and Delaware, and 166 IP addresses from Atlanta and Phoenix.

Also, if anyone has any contacts with AT&T that might have some insight into the transition we'd be happy to hear from them as well.

yourmap

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 03:40:19 PM »
Starts with 166
Southern California

3g AT&T Ipad

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 08:12:37 PM »
Starts with 166
Southern California

3g AT&T Ipad

Interesting ... Perhaps the iPads connect differently than the iPhones? I am assuming you do not have an iPhone available to check with as well?

SCVThunder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 05:58:07 PM »
Austin, TX
Although, whatismyipaddress.com shows the location as Houston, TX (AT&T main router?)

sstankus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 01:20:19 PM »
1) Starts with 198
2) Washington, DC

Luther

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 08:36:33 AM »
Up until about 2 weeks ago, my iPhone connected to iCamSource via AT&T 3G no problems.
Now I get the "Source Connection Error ..."
Depending on my location, whatismyipaddress starts with the following:
198 Romney, WV
198 Pikesville, MD

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 11:08:06 AM »
@SCVThunder & @sstankus - Thanks for the info.

@Luther - Thank you for your info as well. Have you tried clicking the Auto-Config Router checkbox in the iCamSource to see if you can then connect via 3G?

Luther

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 03:18:54 PM »
I have tried checking the "Auto-Config Router" checkbox and restarted.
After that,
I still could not connect via AT&T 3G
And then, I  could not connect via my Wi-Fi also.
So I unchecked that checkbox and was able to reconnect via Wi-Fi again but still not AT&T 3G.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 04:19:45 PM »
I have tried checking the "Auto-Config Router" checkbox and restarted.
After that,
I still could not connect via AT&T 3G
And then, I  could not connect via my Wi-Fi also.
So I unchecked that checkbox and was able to reconnect via Wi-Fi again but still not AT&T 3G.

If checking the Auto-Config Router checkbox introduced issues when connecting via local WiFi there are a couple of things to check:

1. When you clicked the Start button in the iCamSource with the Auto-Config Router checkbox checked did you see the words "Connecting ..." or "Connected to Server" in the iCamSource window title?
2. Do you have any firewall software running on your computer that might be blocking the incoming connection to the iCamSource? (Checking the Auto-Config Router checkbox disables the firewall piercing component of the connection logic.) If so, and you temporarily disable it, are you able to connect again via local WiFi? (Also, are you running on a Mac or Windows PC?)
3. When you had the Auto-Config Router checkbox checked, what UPnP / NAT-PMP status message appeared (if any) near the checkbox when you clicked the Start button? What is the make and model of your network router?

chris5u9

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 08:08:26 AM »
I get the "cannot connect to broker error". I have tryed all of the troubleshooting I can think of. I check firewall and uninstall and install the program.It only works on wifi now,but it use to work on 3g for 2months? I called AT&T and they said that this app puts too much of a load on their network ,like skype. Is there anything that can be done to get this to work? Thanks

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 08:20:58 AM »
I get the "cannot connect to broker error". I have tryed all of the troubleshooting I can think of. I check firewall and uninstall and install the program.It only works on wifi now,but it use to work on 3g for 2months? I called AT&T and they said that this app puts too much of a load on their network ,like skype. Is there anything that can be done to get this to work? Thanks

"this app puts too much of a load on their network ,like skype."

So is that what AT&T are telling people?  :-\

When iCam connects via 3G (or EDGE) it limits the amount of bandwidth used only around 10 KB/s as per Apple's App Store 3G bandwidth restrictions. iCam has always (for over 2 years now) followed that bandwidth limit restriction.

First, a couple of questions:

1. When you visit http://whatismyipaddress.com/ when your iPhone is connected via 3G does the reported IP address start with "166" or "198" ?
2. What is your general geographic location is in the United States (City & State) ?

Now, in order to get things working again, have you tried checking the Auto-Config Router checkbox in the iCamSource before you click the Start button? If so (and it doesn't help) are you still able to connect via local WiFi? (If not, first check to see if you see the words "Connecting ..." or "Connected to Server" in the iCamSource preferences window title. If you see "Connected to Server" then your computer may have a firewall enabled that is blocking the incoming connection. If you see "Connecting ..." then your router may not properly support UPnP or NAT-PMP and we can further troubleshoot from there.)

If you check the Auto-Config Router checkbox and are still able to connect via local WiFi but not via 3G still, what is the UPnP / NAT-PMP status message that appears near the Auto-Config Router checkbox when you click the Start button?

Luther

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2011, 02:13:53 PM »
When Auto Config Router checked, message is: Connected to Server UPnP Success 12000->12000
I still get Source Connection Error on iPhone using WiFi.
Even with Firewall turned off.
Mac OS X Version 10.6.7
SIEMENS Gigaset SE567