Author Topic: 2 Cameras, one iMac, one iCamsource=only sees one camera at a time.  (Read 11967 times)

pbup

• View Profile
hi. i've searched the forum for this issue but haven't seen it quite like this, so forgive if this has been addressed somewhere else.

here's my situation:

1. 1 iMac (new), using built-in iSight camera and a Logitech camera. Running OS 10.6.6
2. all connected via Airport to a Linksys router connected to a Cable Modem (Charter US). No special configuration.
3. latest version of iCamsource 2.2.2.1

previously, as in several months ago, i used both cameras successfully when running two versions of iCamsource (v 1.4.2.6).

now, with new version of iCamsource, it only will see one camera at a time. cannot get both to run at the same time. I've tried using Auto-Config Router settings. rebooting. reverting to previous version. nothing works. only one camera at a time.

any help appreciated. thanks.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Cameras, one iMac, one iCamsource=only sees one camera at a time.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 09:56:02 PM »
In the Cameras list do you see both of your cameras listed? When you click Start do you see preview video for each of your cameras?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 10:00:09 PM by SKJM Support »

pbup

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:46:47 AM »
In the Cameras list do you see both of your cameras listed? When you click Start do you see preview video for each of your cameras?

well, i do see the cameras listed, but only the first one i add works -- it takes preference over the other. i know this because i have tried adding and subtracting the cameras many times to see if that sort of 'resets' it all.

if i add the iSight, the preview works for that; then i add the Logitech, and it does not work -- just shows a freeze-frame of the iSight image! and i never see the Logitech preview.

and also, if i add the Logitech first, it supersedes the iSight, etc.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 08:47:39 PM »
We've heard reports of problems of certain Mac models that prevent multiple USB cameras working simultaneously due to an issue with the USB bus. It isn't a problem with iCamSource in particular, because the problem occurs with other programs as well. 

You can find out if this is the problem you are experiencing by trying to open two of the cameras in different programs simultaneously (such as iChat or Photobooth).  For example, open one camera in Photobooth and then try to open a different camera in iChat.

pbup

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:22:35 AM »
We've heard reports of problems of certain Mac models that prevent multiple USB cameras working simultaneously due to an issue with the USB bus. It isn't a problem with iCamSource in particular, because the problem occurs with other programs as well. 

You can find out if this is the problem you are experiencing by trying to open two of the cameras in different programs simultaneously (such as iChat or Photobooth).  For example, open one camera in Photobooth and then try to open a different camera in iChat.

i think this may the issue, as i cannot get the two cameras to work together in any other programs, as you suggested -- only one at a time.

but the strange part is, it was working before! i'm zeroing in on the USB bus as the culprit and will try some things, post my results for others who may have had similar issues....

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 03:21:41 PM »
Great. Thank you. Looking forward to hearing the results.

S.O.C.K.S.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
I too have the same problem w/my Imac & external camera. Please post if you find a solution.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 09:30:16 PM »
Have you tried opening one camera in Photobooth and the other camera in iChat (as described above)?

me2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 05:00:51 PM »
Have you tried opening one camera in Photobooth and the other camera in iChat (as described above)?

This is my thread I started today - http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=2000.0 'just figured out to be  same problem. 

I can access all 3 cameras in skype and photobooth.  not at the same time in the same software but i can select usb cam in photobooth and then select firewire isight or built-in isight with skype.  vice versa, or any combination, etc.  I use skype instead of ichat but i don't think that makes much difference. 

what should i try next? i get the feeling it doesn't like firewire and built-in while handling a usb cam? 

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 09:56:26 PM »
Thanks for the additional information. Actually accessing Skype instead of iChat does matter for this particular test. Skype accesses the cameras differently. Please try the test again with iChat and Photobooth.

me2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 10:03:02 AM »
okay, more info - tested with both ichat and photo booth...  usb and firewire sight cams will work together.  however, built-in isight (newer iMac snow leopard) won't work with the usb cam.  firewire isight does work with built-in isight but of course that's all apple stuff.

so now i do have icam working with usb and firewire isight cams.  next test is to find out if more than one usb cam will work on the usb buss. 

btw - thanks again for your responses and know that we really enjoy icam on our ipad. 

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 08:36:36 PM »
You're welcome. From your results, it definitely sounds like this particular issue. Hope your additional testing goes well. Let us know.

modamoda

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 10:03:20 AM »
hi,
here same problem i mean...
mac mini 3,1
mac osx 10.6.5
with 2 Microsoft® LifeCam HD-5000 on different usb ports
icamsource 2.2.2.1
only one active preview in icamsource window
the second camera stay black

in photobooth can access to the two cameras sequentially
but with ichat launch at the same time i can access to only the same cam than photobooth

any other tests to help?

I ve the same problem with hackintosh... 16.6.0

Thanks

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 11:39:03 AM »
No, unfortunately it is an issue on certain Mac models that seems to effect any software that uses the standard Quicktime video capture libraries.

modamoda

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 01:47:35 PM »
i ve just test the same webcams with windows XP sp3 on MSI wind notebook with exactly the same issue...
icamsource 2.2.2
My network use apple extrem under modem cable box.
When i use auto config router i ve this essage UPNP AddPortMapping() error 111 NAT PMP 3,-5,0

Any advice?

Thanks.