Author Topic: Dropbox Problems on Mac  (Read 4421 times)

sffan

• View Profile
Dropbox Problems on Mac
« on: March 11, 2011, 09:18:48 PM »
Hi

Thank you for a great app!

Everything is working fine - the motion events will correctly appear in my iCam Source Motion Events folder on my iMac.

I set up Dropbox using the 'alias' method explained in another post.  

However, when I try to sign in to my Dropbox account, using Safari, the just renamed 'hash' file, now called 'iCam Files', will open in TextEdit and just display garbage. Using the Get Info command to change what application to open the photos was unsuccessful.

I have also tried dragging (and option dragging) the 'hash' file to Dropbox - although my events will now open in photo form in Dropbox, the file will not update with new events. The new events are, however, in my iCam Source Motion Events folder.

How can I view the motion events in picture form in Dropbox?

Being able to call up my iCam motion events from any computer is very important to me in case of theft of my iMac.

Please help.

Thank you

UPDATE:  I have now tried everything - renaming the alias file, not renaming the alias file, leaving off the word 'alias', moving the entire Motion Events file to Dropbox - although I have not used Terminal as suggested in another post (too chicken).

Please - there has to be an official method of getting Dropbox to work where images can be viewed in my Motion events folder on my iMac, on my iPod Touch 4, AND in Dropbox where the images are updated in case my iMac is stolen.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 12:53:32 AM by sffan »

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dropbox Problems on Mac
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 01:33:14 PM »
We just change the Motion Event folder in iCamSource so that it points to the Dropbox folder.  We don't use the alias method.

When you say "hash" file, are you referring to the folder with the long name (hash) or are you referring to the actual jpg files?  The folder with the long folder name should contain other folders and shouldn't be renamed.  If you do rename it, iCamSource will just create another folder with the long folder name.

If you're trying to open the .jpg files in Safari and they're opening in TextEdit, trying right-clicking on the link and selecting "Download File".

donnaleemac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 07:02:53 PM »
Had the same problem with my Mac and Safari - Found somewhere in an earlier post that I would be able to do it by having Hazel move it.  I didn't know what Hazel was or how to use it but I downloaded and quickly figured out how to tell it to move the ICAM file automatically to dropbox and then in a day or two delete it.  It works great - no problem - the pictures show up fine and I have found Hazel to be very useful for other things too.

sffan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 07:18:43 PM »
We just change the Motion Event folder in iCamSource so that it points to the Dropbox folder.  

Thank you for the response.

I don't understand your answer. I went to iCam preferences and saw the change button but do not know what to do next.

Please put this in simple terms showing step by step.

I have tried to Option Drag the Motion Event folder and also the long hash folder (separately of course) into my Dropbox folder. I do not rename anything. I can open the 'old' photos signing in to my Dropbox account but events that take place after moving the folder are not there. Dropbox does not update.

Again, I would like to view the events on my iMac, iPod Touch4, and my Dropbox from another computer in case my iMac is stolen.

Thanks again for your help but it has been many hours trying one combination after another with no success.  Any advice will be gratefully appreciated!

Regards

PS  Just saw the post from donnaleemac mentioning Hazel. Thank you. I just called up the Noodlesoft/Hazel site - more reading! I saw it (Hazel) in another post and had no idea what it was. As you were having the same problem, you know how frustrating this is.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 07:24:26 PM by sffan »

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 11:04:58 PM »
We've never used Hazel, but other users have discussed using it here: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=1115.0

Regarding the Change button, when you click it, it should open a folder selection window.  If you select the Dropbox folder (usually /Users/<your_username>/Dropbox), then iCamSource will store Motion Event images in the Dropbox folder.  Moving the folder by dragging it won't do anything because iCamSource will just create a new folder in the default location.

sffan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 10:11:25 AM »
Regarding the Change button, when you click it, it should open a folder selection window.  If you select the Dropbox folder (usually /Users/<your_username>/Dropbox), then iCamSource will store Motion Event images in the Dropbox folder.  Moving the folder by dragging it won't do anything because iCamSource will just create a new folder in the default location.

Wow - that was easy!

Thank you for your help. I can now view motion events on my iPod Touch4 both within the iCam app and My Dropbox. Although I can no longer see motion events in Finder on my iMac, it is just as simple to sign in to My Dropbox in Safari.

Everything updates immediately in Dropbox. My final test this afternoon is to shut down my iMac and sign in to My Dropbox on a 'strange' computer which would simulate my iMac being stolen.

Also thanks for the forum link to Hazel - the tripwire idea is great.

Regards

PS  would it be possible in the future for the iCam icon on my iMac to have a 'preview' menu item so that I could see video ONLY for all cameras connected?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 02:18:50 PM by sffan »

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 06:12:31 PM »
You should be able to the motion events folders in the Finder by going to Macintosh HD/Users/<your_username>/Dropbox/

Dropbox is just syncing with a folder on your computer, so anything that shows up in Dropbox should also be viewable with the Finder on that computer.

Do you mean a preview window that just shows video from the webcam and doesn't show any of the settings?  I can add that to our list of potential features to add to iCam in the future.

sffan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 07:38:51 PM »
You should be able to the motion events folders in the Finder by going to Macintosh HD/Users/<your_username>/Dropbox/

Thanks again!

Do you mean a preview window that just shows video from the webcam and doesn't show any of the settings?  I can add that to our list of potential features to add to iCam in the future.

Yes - just the video and no settings. A window on my iMac showing multiple cameras (just like my iPod Touch) would be great so that I can watch all my cameras at the same time while working on something else. The window does not have to be able to adjust settings etc - this would only be for viewing.

I really appreciate your help.