Author Topic: bandwidth  (Read 26839 times)

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: bandwidth
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 12:46:52 AM »
Just wondering what version of Windows you're on? Did you rule out the codecs? If not, I know there's a tool (can't recall what it's called) that will display all of the codecs installed on the system. Also, did you verify that its either your phone or your computer? Maybe change your username/password temporarily in icamsource and give it to someone else with iCam to see if the video works properly for them. If you can narrow it down to your phone, it's probably jb-related (maybe a networking issue?). If it's your computer, I'd think it'd have to be codec or networking related.

antipro

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 09:23:09 AM »
Just wondering what version of Windows you're on? Did you rule out the codecs? If not, I know there's a tool (can't recall what it's called) that will display all of the codecs installed on the system. Also, did you verify that its either your phone or your computer? Maybe change your username/password temporarily in icamsource and give it to someone else with iCam to see if the video works properly for them. If you can narrow it down to your phone, it's probably jb-related (maybe a networking issue?). If it's your computer, I'd think it'd have to be codec or networking related.

W7 sp1 x64

it's time to realize that i lost my money, doesnt matter, but i cant spend other time on solving issues.
all i can say is that I havent any problems with any others surveillance softwares.
see you later
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 08:39:17 AM by antipro »

antipro

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2012, 08:46:07 AM »
after an app update that problem was gone, now I have it again: poor bandwith usage when i tap to view a cam in full screen.
funny

EDIT: well, I have also the same problem on mosaic view, only 1 of the 3 cams have a decent fps ratio, in my humble opinion there's something wrong in the app.

The app is laggy.

I can do nothing on my side, I am available if you care of that.

EDIT2: ok it's definitive, if I turn lights off, images are dark but fps are better, if I turn lights on fps drops down near to 1fps, just ridiculous.

do something
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:54:15 PM by antipro »

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 09:52:35 AM »
Running 3 USB webcams simultaneously from one computer potentially reaching the power limitations of your USB bus, especially since changing the order got things working for you in the other thread. You are likely walking the edge of what your USB bus can handle, and changing the startup order of the webcams is effecting that.

If you run one or two webcams on the computer, do you experience the same issue? If you run multiple iCamSources on multiple computers (that you asked about in another thread) do you have the same issue?

Some Mac computers cannot even handle 2 USB webcams simultaneously.

I am also assuming that you are running the latest versions of iCam and the iCamSource.

No other users are reporting this issue, so the fair assumption is that it is specific to your system / setup.

antipro

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 01:07:01 PM »
no problems with 3 or 4 webcams connected at the same time with any other software. I have a modern pc.
power issues? i dont think so, maybe if you use an hub..

icamsource and icam both are lagging with 1 or 2 cams too.
and yes, with multiple instances too. and on differents pcs.

maybe is my router that is incompatible, a netgear dgn3500...

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 05:53:43 PM »
It could be an issue of your local WiFi network being bogged down or dealing with interference from other channels. Unplugging and re-plugging in your router may help as well. (Or just replacing the router, if that is an option.)

antipro

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 06:21:38 PM »
I think my network works correctly.
you continue to presume the issue is in my system but if it is so, why this behavior when i double tap a preview to fullscreen?
http://db.tt/CHGOrG9z

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 09:15:38 AM »
One thing you could also try is connecting via iCamWeb from the same computer running the iCamSource: http://skjm.com/icam/web/

By default iCamWeb refreshes the image once every second, but if you add "&fps=5" to the end of the large "Share" URL it will attempt to refresh the image 5 times a second. Then, you can also try viewing a camera using iCamWeb from a different computer on your network to see how quickly the image refreshes.

antipro

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 12:16:31 PM »
"5 fps = quick image refresh"...
ok I just realized we have a different conception of smooth images.

Dude, I'm talking about I want to see me like I was look myself into a mirror.
by using the hightest bandwith available.

BTW, even if it was at 30fps that do not demonstrate anything.

There's something wrong, I don't know where, if in the app or in my system,
i say you only what i'm having, i'm not inventing anything.
I just tried all I can try.

a crash occured just now while typing this post
http://db.tt/QjhQcW6X

« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 12:20:13 PM by antipro »

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 04:17:37 PM »
Ah, well you should not expect the video stream to be "like looking in the mirror". Since these are real-time streams that have to be captured and compressed for transmission over a network they are never going to be that smooth.

The frame rate seen in this iPhone 3GS TV commercial (iCam is the third app featured) is pretty typical: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tmcNcTNzxA

antipro

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 08:18:50 PM »
I am not agree, when  I look at the mosaic view and the apps decide to works, I have 140KB/s upload and realtime fast like mirror images, when I tap one and it expand to fullscreen, the bandwith drops at a poor 30kb/s that anyway it could be enough for a decent framerate, but it isn't, in this case.

Sometimes I have 20kb/s unstable upload and images lag evertimes.
Sometimes 10kb/s, Sometimes, 1 of 2 are laggy. it's a kind of lottery.

All other softwares are transmitting images at 30fps fullscreen, but I'm sure ur app can do it too,
I saw icam worked well like I want one time after an update, maybe you did change something in a recent update..

you want to change my mind, I dont change idea, there's something wrong.
the dog images in the spot is too short to see it well but it is very poor, and coul be much better

I show you network behavior, I show you an error relating lame.dll.
I can send you what you want, but wish you help me?
Do you call this an aid?

I know my english sucks and explain someone networks/fps troubles is not easy, what can I do? Cant you send me some icamsource debug versions?

this screenshot is taken one of the very few times icamsource works semi-good.
the first upload graph is 1 webcam unstable and laggy.
then I start after restarting icamsource.
the goods are mosaic - 1 webcam, the bads are fullscreen
http://db.tt/fGmVPWRX

imho icam works good, the problem is in icamsource.
and always imho also at 30kb/s images are smooth at 640x480.

the images seems limited to 1fps at 30kb/s: non sense

I'm going to play russian roulette alone with six bullets. see you
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:48:38 PM by antipro »

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 09:46:38 PM »
I am not agree, when  I look at the mosaic view and the apps decide to works, I have 140KB/s upload and realtime fast like mirror images, when I tap one and it expand to fullscreen, the bandwith drops at a poor 30kb/s that anyway it could be enough for a decent framerate, but it isn't, in this case.

Sometimes I have 20kb/s unstable upload and images lag evertimes.
Sometimes 10kb/s, Sometimes, 1 of 2 are laggy. it's a kind of lottery.

All other softwares are transmitting images at 30fps fullscreen, but I'm sure ur app can do it too,
I saw icam worked well like I want one time after an update, maybe you did change something in a recent update..

What other applications are you using that are transmitting real-time full-screen video from your computer to your phone at 30 fps?

We have not recently changed anything that has to do with the frame rate ... I believe the last time was in February.

Actually, one thing you could try is this BETA test version that was used by testers before the February change was released: http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource2.4.3b.zip

It is just the exe and not the installer, so if you unzip it into your C:\Program Files\iCamSource folder and run it instead of the installed version, do you still see the same zoomed-in frame rate?

Additionally, if you could possibly give us some more information about what update fixed things for you, that would be helpful.

you want to change my mind, I dont change idea, there's something wrong.
the dog images in the spot is too short to see it well but it is very poor, and coul be much better

I am simply suggesting that you might want to adjust your expectations based on the technical issues and limitations involved.

I show you network behavior, I show you an error relating lame.dll.
I can send you what you want, but wish you help me?
Do you call this an aid?

I suggested using iCamWeb to give a contrasting view of the situation to see if an iCam client on the same computer as the iCamSource would experience the same frame rate issues. That would essentially remove any network delay from the equation. Did you ever perform that test?

The lame.dll crash would be related to the audio decoding, and should not be effecting your frame rate, but you could try choosing "No Audio" from the iCamSource Audio drop-down menu to remove audio from the equation.

I know my english sucks and explain someone networks/fps troubles is not easy, what can I do? Cant you send me some icamsource debug versions?

Yes, we would be able to send debug / logging versions, but that generally is not the first step we take in troubleshooting until we know precisely what to look for. It sounded like your expectations were beyond what iCam was capable of, which would not be remedied with a test version.

Try the iCamWeb tests and the iCamSource 2.4.3b test version and let me know how it goes. If it seems like a logging version is the logical next step, I should be able to get one to you early next week to test out. (Tomorrow is the start of the Thanksgiving holiday here in the US.)

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2012, 09:51:29 PM »
this screenshot is taken one of the very few times icamsource works semi-good.
the first upload graph is 1 webcam unstable and laggy.
then I start after restarting icamsource.
the goods are mosaic - 1 webcam, the bads are fullscreen
http://db.tt/fGmVPWRX

imho icam works good, the problem is in icamsource.
and always imho also at 30kb/s images are smooth at 640x480.

Ok, yes, that does look suspect if the bandwidth is always dropping like that only when zoomed in. Does this also happen when just using one camera? Perhaps the 2.4.3b will work better for you. If not, I can get you a test version early next week.

I'm going to play russian roulette alone with six bullets. see you

Alrighty then.  ???

antipro

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 09:59:08 PM »
are u still there?
OMG! it works!!!

http://db.tt/xhZOm4SF

can't believe it. Am I dreaming?

Going to test it better next days, btw i'm happy now, thanks, enjoy with that thanksgivin.
see you
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 10:05:10 PM by antipro »

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 10:11:39 PM »
Glad to hear that it it working for you.  :)

The issue that the February fix addressed was an issue in the Windows sockets where the send command would return an unusual error code that is not seen on most systems. The fix that was eventually incorporated properly handled that new error code.

The likely reason that 2.4.3b works for you is that it was a test version that tried to automatically handle all error codes similarly, regardless of their meaning. That means that your computer (for whatever reason) is returning a different error code that we have not previously seen before.

If you want you could also download the logging version that was used to find the error code, version 2.4.3a: http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource2.4.3a.zip

When you launch this logging version, it will create an iCamSource_Debug_Log.txt file in the same folder as the executable. If you could launch the iCamSource, connect to it with your phone, confirm that the frame rate is sluggish, and then close iCam on your phone and the iCamSource and e-mail the log file to support@skjm.com I should hopefully find some useful information contained within it.

If so, then I will hopefully be able to get a test version to you early next week based off of the latest version (2.5) that should handle your specific error code properly and get rid of your slow zoomed-in frame rate.

In the meantime you can use 2.4.3b (the non-logging version) over the weekend to see if the slow frame rate issue returns.