Author Topic: Is it possible to connect icam with an ad-hoc connection?  (Read 2706 times)

chnevill

• View Profile
Is it possible to connect icam with an ad-hoc connection?
« on: April 06, 2009, 12:34:30 PM »
Hi, thanks for the great software.
I have a strange question. I am about to rebuild a vintage 22ft travel trailer and what I would like to do is to attach two external webcams to the outside of the trailer connected to a mac mini inside the trailer to act as rear vision mirrors and have an iPod touch in the towing vehicle to view the video feed. I would therefore have a wi-fi connection from the computer in the trailer to the ipod in the tow vehicle which wouldn't be able to connect to the internet.
I have no idea if this is possible or how to go about configuring it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Is it possible to connect icam with an ad-hoc connection?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 10:05:47 PM »
Unfortunately, in this particular scenario, iCam won't work because both iCam on the iPhone and iCamSource on the computer require an internet connection in order to work.

chuckster

• View Profile
Re: Is it possible to connect icam with an ad-hoc connection?
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 08:28:33 AM »
They make a small unit (about the size of a pack of cards) that turns your car into a wireless hot spot.  There is a monthly fee, of course.  I think I read that it runs about $40 a month for unlimted 3G data.  Some companies (if they survive) are going to build them into cars, but you can also buy a device on your own.  If you are going to be traveling, always a nice feature to be able to send emails and photos and watch YouTube videos while driving down the road with a trailer.