Author Topic: Receiving push notifications, but cannot view stream - works for hours, stops  (Read 5520 times)

droberts1214

• View Profile
Setup -

Initially the product works flawlessly for several hours.
Streaming to phone & http applet works great, push notifications for motion detection received with no issues.

server side-
laptop with single logitec usb.
using port forwarding, 12000-12100 setup.

client side-
iphone4 3G & wireless
java applet, chrome & IE

Issue -
After running for some time (8-12hrs?) the streaming is broken. Push notifications to my phone continue to come in every time motion is detected, but when I attempt to view the server it looks as if it finds the server, sits at the quad screen loading animation, then times out to error

"Source Connection Error One or more of the iCamSources returned by the iCam Broker Server could not be connected to."

Once the streaming breaks it cannot be viewed on either client source; http applet, iphone3G, iphonewifi.

My outside public ISP-issued IP address has not changed, my internal IP does not change.

Work around-
If I close the server completely & restart the service, I can once again connect.

I believe everything on my end is configured correctly, but something is changing server side after a long duration connection that is killing my session. While this isn't a huge issue, it is a hassle to have to restart the session every 8-12hrs. I would like this product to run 24/7 uninterrupted.

Any fixes available?

ps -
fantastic product, absolutely wonderfull price. once it works flawlessly you should up it to $20 bucks, its worth it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 10:37:52 AM by droberts1214 »

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
If your external IP address isn't changing then that is peculiar.

If you could go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ from the computer running the iCamSource and e-mail support@skjm.com what it says your current external IP address is then we can attempt to look it up in the Broker Server logs and hopefully troubleshoot the problem. Please reference this forum post in your e-mail.

SeanJ

• View Profile
droberts, I watch with interest as your experience is v similar to my own, though i have more hardware issue to explore in whats causing my freezing/killing of sessions. There is good support here so hopefully this issue will be understood.

Sean

smbluthing

• View Profile
it became a full time job, in what free time i had, to fiddle with all this stuff to get more than one cam working...email after email after email chasing this and that until i realized it just wasn't worth it...i keep checking this forum from time to time to see if anything is fixed yet,,, but week after week i continue to see the same problems posted by different people...would be nice to be able to talk to someone at tech support.... phone # please...i didn't think so.  defeated and exhausted pursuing a workable solution, if one exists.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
@smbluthing - What issue is it that you are having?

NinjaPower

• View Profile
I'm having the same problems... It's really frustrating.

Camera side:
Logitech USB cam plugged into a 2010 MacBook Pro.
MacBook running iCam Source for mac.
MacBook connected to Orange Livebox (Inventel Livebox) router via wifi.

Phone side:
1 x iPhone 3GS with iCam
1 x iPhone 4 with iCam

Problems:
After literally hours and hours of fiddling with Internet settings in the mac and in the router, and setting up port forwarding and static IP address etc, I finally get it working last night at about 11pm. Both iPhones can view the camera ok over wifi, then I turn the phone wifi off and yes, both phones can still see the camera over 3G
network (one on 'O2' and one on 'Orange' network).
Push notifications are working.

I change nothing at all.

Then, I wake up this morning and find that when I open the app on the phone, there is no feed and I get the 'Source Connection' error message.

I go to the Mac, everything looks ok, but I click Stop then Start on the iCam Source, and this starts the wifi working again... BUT I now find that I get the Source Connection error message if I try to view the cam via 3G on either phone!

Help! I'm really frustrated, I just want this to work 24/7 without spending hours fiddling with my computer!

Thanks

NinjaPower

• View Profile
Just to add to the above: I'm still getting Push notifications over 3G.
For example I'm sat here at work with a very strong 3G signal and I keep getting Push saying 'motion detected' and the correct time (like now) and then I press to open the app, the 4 blank squares appear and I get the 'loading circle' for ages, then nothing except the source error message.

Also... I logged onto the 'icam web viewer' site on a different computer in a different place completely to my home (my work) and I put in the password and I can see the camera no problem at all! So it really is just on 3G on the app that I'm getting the problem!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 06:45:29 AM by NinjaPower »

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
If you already have port forwarding configured on your router, I would like to try and confirm that your port forwarding is functioning as we expect it to. If you visit this link in your computer's web browser:

http://portchecker.net/udp.php?p=12001

... it will open a webpage that contains a Java Applet in it (similar to iCamWeb) that will be able to listen on port 12000 for a UDP packet to be sent from a server on the Internet to your computer. If your port forwarding is functioning correctly then you should see a message saying that the port is open. If it is not functioning correctly, it should say that it is blocked.

NinjaPower

• View Profile
It says the port is blocked.

This is very strange...  I have iCam app on both my phones: my iphone 4 is on 'Orange' network, and when on 3G it can see the camera feed OK, and then sometimes it cannot.

My iPhone 3GS is on O2 network and cannot see the stream at all on 3G.

Both work ok on wifi and the web viewer version on iCam can see my stream from any computer I go onto.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 07:09:14 PM by NinjaPower »

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
If the port is blocked, that either means that a firewall is blocking the port or that the port forwarding isn't configured correctly.

Please quit or disable all firewall software on the computer running iCamSource (temporarily) to see if iCam starts working.  If it does, we can configure the firewall to work with iCam.

If disabling the firewall doesn't help,  please send an email to support@skjm.com with a screenshot of your router's port forwarding settings.  Please refer to this forum thread in your email.