Author Topic: Audio over IP now possible??  (Read 5928 times)

Gump

• View Profile
Audio over IP now possible??
« on: November 12, 2010, 10:29:16 AM »
The SkyIPCam777W has added support for MPEG4 streaming (with audio). In fact, it provides a streaming video URL for live viewing on mobile devices with MPEG4 support (iPhone) without software.

However, iCamsource and iCam are still best for interface and motion detection, push notification etc.

THERE MUST be a way to enable audio over IP cameras that have MPEG4 support...I really want to use this as a baby monitor and I need to be able to hear her when she cries. The SkyIPCam777W even does TWO way audio - any support for this is very needed and I would pay to get it implemented or made a top priority.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Audio over IP now possible??
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 10:53:47 PM »
MPEG-4 support is on our list of potential features to add to iCam in the future.  Unfortunately, I can't give really give a timeframe for the feature.  When deciding which features to add to iCam, it really comes down to which one is requested most and how difficult it is.  Adding MPEG4 support is relatively complex, and the number of users requesting it is fairly small in comparison to some other requested features.

Gump

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 05:44:21 PM »
While I understand the complexity of MPEG4, the bigger point is audio over IP cameras. I am not the only one requesting this and surely it should be at the top of a priority list since it is such a basic need and was made immediately available for non-IP cameras.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 05:04:48 PM »
There are a number of issues with audio support for network IP cameras:

1) One of the ways we prioritize feature development is by how many of iCam's users will benefit. Network IP camera users make up around 10% of iCam's overall user base, and not all of those users' cameras even support audio, so that is one of the reasons why it has never been a top priority.
2) The code we wrote to support audio for USB, FireWire, and Built-In cameras works for all cameras from all manufacturers, because we use the common operating system calls to access the audio streams. Network IP cameras are notorious for not following standards (something we discovered when working on the video streams) and for audio it's more of the same kinds of headaches. It is by no means a "write the code once and it will work every time" sort of scenario, unfortunately.

mpsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 02:10:08 PM »
Please add me to the list of needing audio for IP cameras. I need it for daycare issues and don't have the need for a computer in the rooms that I need to place IP cameras.  I also have a Western Digital (NAS) my book world along with the linksys router in one of the rooms that I plan on placing an IP camera (with audio). Will I be able to use either of these or will it still need to be configured from my computer and then placed elsewhere. Basically, will the NAS or router be able to provide any kind of support for me?  Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. :D

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 11:30:28 PM »
mpsmith - The iCamSource program does need to be running on your computer in order for iCam on your iPhone to connect to it, even with Wi-Fi cameras.  This is due to the firewall/NAT piercing techniques used by iCam.   Also, the motion detection features of iCam (push notifications and motion recording) require iCamSource to be running in order to perform the motion detection processing.

LB

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 07:29:53 PM »
I agree.  When I purchased the app I assumed the audio would work with wireless cameras.  I even bought the cameras recommended on this website.  Come to find out the audio doesn't work now because my cameras are wireless.  what a bummer because I bought this to use as a front door monitor / intercom

iPhoneDave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 10:04:46 AM »
There are a number of issues with audio support for network IP cameras:

1) One of the ways we prioritize feature development is by how many of iCam's users will benefit. Network IP camera users make up around 10% of iCam's overall user base, and not all of those users' cameras even support audio, so that is one of the reasons why it has never been a top priority.
2) The code we wrote to support audio for USB, FireWire, and Built-In cameras works for all cameras from all manufacturers, because we use the common operating system calls to access the audio streams. Network IP cameras are notorious for not following standards (something we discovered when working on the video streams) and for audio it's more of the same kinds of headaches. It is by no means a "write the code once and it will work every time" sort of scenario, unfortunately.

How did you come up with the 10% figure?

Does it include users like myself who are regular iCam users but would LOVE to be wireless iCam users if you enabled audio for wireless cameras?  I wasn't polled...

Don't forget the number of people who refrained from/are waiting to buy iCam until you support this feature.

Not everybody needs audio over wireless, but to say that only 10% of your "overall user base" wants it is just false.  Where was the poll for this?

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 08:04:39 PM »
There wasn't a poll.  Around 10% of the iCamSources that connect to our iCam Broker Server are connecting to network IP cameras as opposed to USB / FireWire / Built-In webcams.