Author Topic: Problem: iCamSource v2.1.3 for Windows - iCam won't connect  (Read 16817 times)

rottoruss

• View Profile
Re: Problem: iCamSource v2.1.3 for Windows - iCam won't connect
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 05:59:56 PM »
Thank Jay,

Every time the computer re-starts or the modem re-starts and iCam is on autostart the message on the iPhone / iPad is "Source Connection Error" One or more of the iCamSources returned by the iCam Broker Server.......

There is a 50% chance that if I re-start the iCam program the iPhone will find the cams (sometimes not all), otherwise I need to restart and re-enter the password and that ensures 100% success that everything works..

When I'm away it becomes useless as I cannot be there to re-start the program or re-enter passwords - if by chance only one cam comes up and I re-fresh too many times it brings up the iCam Broker Servrice message and then I know no further cams can be viewed till I get home and re-start the program again.

Could there be a fix or is it just my issue?

TrippinBilly

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 07:49:36 PM »
Ok, I can confirm there appears to be something up with the Windows version of iCamSource v2.1.3.

I left my computer running for 2-3 days, and all of sudden iCam cannot connect (e.g. No Sources). 
  • So, I stopped and restarted iCamSource.  No effect. 
  • I rebooted my PC.  No Effect. 
  • I retyped the password for all four cameras, it worked again.

It appears that the passwords somehow get corrupted and are persisted in a corrupted state.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2010, 12:38:14 AM »
The next time either of your see this behavior, I'd like you to send me the iCamSource registry key.  To get that, run regedit.exe (search for "regedit" in Start->Search).

Then select this registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER -> Software -> SKJM, LLC

Right-click on the Key and select "Export" from the pop-up menu.  This will save the key in a .reg file. 

Please get an export of the registry key when it stops working, and then get a separate export of the registry key after you've re-entered the passwords and it has started working again

Please email those .reg files to me at support@skjm.com so I can look through the settings to see if the registry is getting corrupted.  Please refer to this forum thread in your email.

TrippinBilly

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 06:07:28 PM »
Will do.  Thanks.

rottoruss

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 08:14:31 AM »
Hey Jay,

I have sent the registry files to support..

Hope it helps..

michaelb130

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2010, 07:43:54 PM »
I've had a similar problem 2.1.3 for windows just doesn't like multiple cameras. I could hardly get it to connect when I had more than one camera defined. As soon as I deleted the other cameras it connected and started steaming like it used to.  I have another laptop that is running 2.1.3 for windows and when I connect a second camera to it, it also fails.
Hope this helps guys.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2010, 09:38:44 PM »
That may be a CPU usage issue or perhaps a USB bus issue, with your computer's USB bus not being able to power both webcams at the same time.

What was the CPU usage of the iCamSource when you added the additional camera?

michaelb130

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2010, 10:12:53 PM »
Yes the CPU did increase im using a Sony Vaio Core 2 Duo 2GHz process with 4GB ram so that should be ample.
From memory my desktop gadget had the CPU at around 55-60% and the fan was also kicking in.
I did not notice that as I selected each camera I could see the image changing.
The title of the preference window kept saying "connecting", I never saw the "connected to server" until I remove the second camera.
The other laptop I have a similar issue on is HP Centrino 2 3.2 Ghtz processor 4gb RAM and its CPU spikes at 45-50%

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2010, 11:36:09 AM »
If you disable the motion detection (by unchecking the Enable Motion Detection checkbox) does that allow you to run with two cameras at once? That will reduce the CPU usage of the iCamSource application.

michaelb130

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 03:10:48 PM »
I'll double check that one later, but I haven't been using motion detection at this stage.
I started up the laptop this morning and it was stuck connecting... . I clicked on the stop button, re-entered the password and clicked start and it changed to connected.
BUT
by the time I got to work the camera image has frozen and it looks like the icam software has crashed. :(

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 05:09:19 PM »
Unchecking the Enable Motion Detection checkbox should greatly reduce your CPU usage, as that seems to be a probable cause of your system's instability.

michaelb130

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 05:21:44 PM »
Thanks
sorry I wasn't clear enough. I haven't used motion and it wasn't enabled
cheers
Michael

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2010, 08:35:57 PM »
You are seeing CPU settings as high as 50-60% with Motion Detection turned off and just two USB webcams?

With just one camera in the iCamSource, the motion detection disabled, and the iCamSource Preferences window closed (the application still runs in the systray) what % CPU do you see? Is it the same regardless of which USB camera you are using?

michaelb130

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 03:01:38 PM »
with just one web cam and motion detection turned off and the preference window closed the CPU is around 25%. It doesnt matter if I use the inbuilt camera or the external logitech camera.

When I started it up this morning it would not connect to the server until I re-entered the password.

rottoruss

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 05:29:21 PM »
I’ve test all types of scenarios now and it appears that auto start has nothing to do with the issue nor is there two instances of iCamsource running.

The only thing that interferes with the successful operation of the program is the password..

After iCam stops or if it doesn't start after a PC reboot - to make it work again every time, you only need to re - input just one of the passwords and all cams work again immediately again after pressing start and refresh iPhone.