Author Topic: Problem: iCamSource v2.1.3 for Windows - iCam won't connect  (Read 16818 times)

TrippinBilly

• View Profile
Problem: iCamSource v2.1.3 for Windows - iCam won't connect
« on: September 29, 2010, 08:41:44 PM »
When I first loaded and ran v2.1.3 on Windows (Vista) it worked fine.  I restarted it the other day and now even though iCamSource reports it is connected to the server, I can't reach it from iCam on my phone.  I can run v2.1.2 on my iMac with no problems and iCam connects with no issues.

Any info I can provide to help troubleshoot?

Thanks...

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Problem: iCamSource v2.1.3 for Windows - iCam won't connect
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 12:35:41 AM »
If you run just the Windows iCamSource (quit the Mac iCamSource), what error message do you see on your iPhone when you try to connect to the Windows iCamSource?

TrippinBilly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 04:43:28 AM »
I make sure that both iCamSources (windows/Mac) aren't running at the same time.

I get a dialog box that says no iCamSources were found.  I get a similar message using iCamWeb.

TrippinBilly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 04:22:18 PM »
Was messing around with it again this evening...

Mac version of iCamSource is not running.
Windows version of iCamSource is running and says it the title bar: Connected to Server.  I have 4 cameras setup, and I can see video for all 4 cameras in iCamSource.

When I launch iCam on my iPhone, it displays the current error message:
Source Connection Error
One or more of the iCamSources returned by the iCam Broker Server could not be connected to.

I also tried connecting via iCamWeb.  Num of Sources reported was 1, then after a few seconds, I got a dialog box that displayed the same error above.

I can stop the Windows version, launch the Mac version, and I have no problem viewing my cameras on my iPhone.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:25:37 PM by TrippinBilly »

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 05:24:54 PM »
Do you have a firewall program installed on your Windows computer? Make sure the ports are open (google pfportchecker). Have you enabled uPNP on your router, and auto port configuration in icamsource on the Windows PC?

If doing that doesn't work, you might have to set up manual port forwarding. If you are wondering why it'd work for your Mac, but not your PC, it's probably because you have multiple sources on your PC...which requires more ports/routing (making it more complicated).

TrippinBilly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 05:48:25 PM »
UPnP is enabled on the router.
Tried turning the firewall off already.

I'm leaning more toward a code issue than a network issue.  Just now I double tapped the Start/Stop button (don't ask, got impatient I guess) on preferences, my iPhone got a motion detection from my Windows iCamSource.  I opened iCamSource and 2 of my 4 cameras came up.  Then, after a few seconds, I got and error on my iPhone from iCam: Source Connection Error: one or more of the iCamSources returned by the iCam Broker Server could not be connected to.

Not sure I understand your comment about why it worked on my Mac and not my PC as I have multiple source on my PC.  I have the same sources configured on both platforms.  I just make sure that the Mac iCamSource is not running when the PC is, or vice versa.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 09:09:17 PM »
Ohh, I thought you had only one source (a webcam) on your Mac. Have you tried running pfportchecker.exe to make sure that the ports are forwarding correctly? Are both the PC and Mac connecting to the router through the same method (wirelessly....or ethernet)? I've had some crappy routers in the past that could get overwhelmed with wireless traffic and become unstable...especially using WPA encryption. Granted, this was years ago when WPA was new. I'm just throwing some ideas out. It could be a software issue...but I'd think more people would be having the issue. What firewall program are you running? I had CA Anti-virus/Firewall. Sometimes when I "turned off" the firewall, it kept running...very frustrating. That firewall had some weird quirks. I'd try the port checker program (the one above is what the SKJM guys recommended) and verify the ports are open. I think they recommend at least 6 ports per camera be available. You might also verify that the Windows firewall is disabled during testing. I've encountered unexpected blocking behavior from the Windows firewall, despite having made exceptions for specific programs. That occured on a Vista Home machine if I remember correctly.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 10:02:28 PM »
TrippinBilly - If you email the PC's external IP address to support@skjm.com, I can look in the server logs to find more information about the problem.  To get the external IP address, go to http://whatismyip.com in your PC's web browser.  Please refer to this forum thread in your email.

y2kaos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 11:08:43 PM »
Hi all,

I have the same problem. My source is installed on windows, and everything works fine only if I use a 2 letter password. Restarting the computer and iPhone did not help. Is this a known bug in 2.1.3?

TrippinBilly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 06:22:26 PM »
Thanks, Jay, for the help!

The problem was that the iCam Password for some of the cameras were different than the others.  I re-typed them all, and it works now!

Might want to consider moving to having a single iCam Login/Password and using it for all cameras versus entering in an iCam login/password for each camera.  Unless, of course, there's a reason to have them that way...

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2010, 07:14:33 PM »
Wow, the password was your problem? lol Personally, I like having the flexibility of using different usernames/passwords for each camera. Maybe have a checkbox in future versions of icamsource that allows you to force all cameras to have the same username and password?

TrippinBilly

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 07:18:53 PM »
Yea.  All of the cameras had the same userid, but two of them had the same password and the other two did not.  So, I don't understand why that would cause iCam to fail to stay connected, though.  If two cams had the same userid/password, then why would the other two (not being the same) cause the disconnect?

Doesn't matter, as I'm glad it's running.  I don't like leaving my iMac running all the time (e.g. heat).  If something is going to wear out, I want it to be my Windows box.  Cheaper to replace components.

GaryW

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 03:07:56 AM »
I had issues with this new version too.

I retyped the user name and password in both iCamSource and iCam on the iPhone/iPad and the connection was restored.

rottoruss

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 05:50:03 PM »
Having a similar problem.. everytime iCam won't connect I have to go in and retype the username and password it it works immediately - is this some kind of bug?

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 09:41:18 PM »
 We haven't heard any reports of anybody needing to re-enter their login/password repeatedly.  As far as I know, TrippinBilly and GaryW haven't had recurring problems after they re-entered the login/password once.

What error do you see on your iPhone?  It might re-connecting successfully because you're restarting iCamSource, not because you're re-entering the login/password.