Author Topic: icam 1.1  (Read 3361 times)

zuni201

• View Profile
icam 1.1
« on: March 04, 2009, 12:48:42 AM »
has any one noticed theres much more lag in version 1.1 than it was in previous versions. maybe bc it has sound .
i always use wifi btw

or is it just me??

zuni201

• View Profile
Re: icam 1.1
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 01:00:29 AM »
btw im using windows vista

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 03:56:54 PM »
zuni201- Since there is more data being sent over the network (the audio data), it will add to the lag to a certain extent.  However, this extra lag should be very small on a wi-fi network. 

How much of a lag in the video do see with the current version?  How much of a lag did you see in the old version?  Does the extra lag go away if you disable audio in the settings page on iCam?

zuni201

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
yea i was thinking the same thing.

hmm well in previous version, there was lag thts for sure, bt it didnt really bother me, however in current version it seems a little more than it was in previous version.
and no it didnt make a diff wen i disabled audio.

however, there is a important point to make here. i currently dnt hv microphone drivers on my laptop. so my microphone dont work, and wen i see myself through icam, theres almost no lag. but when i see my gf, her cam lags alot (she has microphone )
and theres nothign wrong with her internet being slow or cam being faulty, bc it works like a charm on msn

thanks

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 10:05:40 PM »
There will be much less lag for a webcam on a local network than for a webcam connecting remotely over the internet.  I'm assuming that your webcam is on your local network and you're connecting to her webcam over the internet, so an increased lag makes sense.  If you're connected through 3G or EDGE on the iPhone, the lag will be even greater.

If audio is disabled in iCam, the network traffic should be the same as it was with the old version, so the video lag should be about the same as before.  Of course, if audio is turned on in iCam, there is extra data being sent, so there may be a bit of extra lag.

zuni201

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 11:44:28 PM »
yea it makes sense now, thanks