Author Topic: After reboot, iCamsource won't run  (Read 19813 times)

captual

• View Profile
Re: After reboot, iCamsource won't run
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 12:25:21 PM »
OK Jay,  I ran the Clean iCam registry, and ALL seems back to normal on both my desktop & notebook computers.  Thanks, guess that's why you have HERO status. ;)
Same with me....now works.

seanhsmith

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 12:57:13 PM »
Jay,

I un-installed the version I was running before (2.1 I believe) and then ran the registry editor file you provided to get rid of all iCamSource registry keys and then re-installed the latest version (2.1.1). It's now up and running again! Like you said, I had to re-enter all the information for the camera(s) but at least I'm actually able to start the program again. And yes, to answer your previous question, I had restarted several times so it looks like the root of this problem was a registry key issue. I just hope it doesn't happen again... if it does, I'll be sure to let everybody know in this thread.

Thanks for all your help!

dkb52

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 05:16:14 PM »
 ??? OK, iCam Source v 2.1.1 just crashed on my notebook again (Windows "we encountered a problem") again!  I rebooted the notebook, restarted iCam Source (v 2.1.1), and received the same error.

I ran the iCamCleanRegistry, and started the program (without reboot), and all is running again.  I did need to re-enter the camera and PW (which I knew), but it's running!

Since this time it ran without a reboot, I guess I should continue these posts under the other folder.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 05:17:57 PM by dkb52 »

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 09:43:34 PM »
dkb52 - Does it crash as soon as you launch iCamSource, or when you hit the Start button, or some other time?

dkb52

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2010, 04:55:13 AM »
 ??? Jay,  Each time iCam source has "crashed" (windows error message) it has always started, and had been running (broadcasting). The last crash, it had been broadcasting over an hour.  Of course once the crash occurs, it will NOT run again (with/without reboot, with/without uninstall & reinstall).  It will only start again, after the iCamCleanRegistry is run.

The earlier crash (after running iCamCleanRegistry) I had rebooted, and reinstalled iCamSource v 2.1.1.  After the last crash, I only ran the iCamClean Registry, restarted iCamSource (without reboot, without reinstall), and I've been up and running (all night) without incident.

Later today, I will reboot and run iCamWeb just to see (for myself), if anything forces another crash on either my desktop or notebook.  I have not been broadcasting on the desktop after verifying the iCamCleanRegistry did clear the error there.
Reminder: using Win XP Home on both computers, all updates & service packs are complete.

Update 8:27 est.  No "force" necessary.  After running fine all night, I closed (exited) iCamSource, about an hour ago.  Two minutes ago, I attempted to restart, and no-go.  I immediately received the windows "sorry message."  The icon was still showing on my task bar, but doing the mouse over, it disappeared.  I attempted to restart iCamSource, and received the windows error message again.  This time however, there were two icons on the task bar.  Both disappeared with a mouse over.

I rebooted, tried to restart, and received the windows error message again, back to one icon in the task bar, which disappeared during a mouse over.

I ran the iCamCleanRegistry, restarted iCam Source (no reboot), and am up and running again.

This occurred on my notebook, and NO auto-start is Not checked.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 06:34:29 AM by dkb52 »

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2010, 10:12:14 PM »
The behavior you're describing could be explained if there is already another instance of iCamSource running in the background accessing the camera.

How are you closing iCamSource?  If you close the iCamSource window, the iCamSource program will continue running in the background.  You can access the program through a small icon in the System Tray.  You can quit the program from that System Tray icon.

You can check the Task Manager Process list to determine if there are any other instances of iCamSource running. 

dkb52

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2010, 11:41:31 PM »
OK, back to square 1 (kinda).  I am NOT closing iCam Source.  It is crashing (Windows "sorry error.")  Even though it crashed and is NOT running, the icon (saying it is) is on the task bar.  If I "mouse-over" the icon, as IF I wanted to stop it, the icon disappears (removing the option to stop the program).

Since iCam Source is NOT running at this point, if I attempt to restart the program (start button>) I receive the windows error message again, and then there are TWO icons on my task bar; but the program is still NOT running.  When I drag my mouse over either icon to 'stop the program' both icons disappear.

Using iCam Source awhile now, I understand the "multiple instances;" however with version 2.1.1, I can add cameras as needed, without starting another 'instance' of iCam Source running.

If I attempt another start of iCam Source 2.1.1 without a reboot, a third icon will appear (implying three instances); however NONE are running (noted by the windows "sorry message.")

The ONLY way I can stop the accumulation of icons (instances) during program start, is to perform a reboot.  Even after the reboot, the program will NOT start again, without first running the CleaniCamRegistry.

After you posted the link for CleaniCamRegistry.reg I basically just post what I was doing when the crash occurred.  I don't mess with anything, since I already know the only way to fix the problem on my notebook, is to run CleaniCamRegistry, before loading again.

A more specific answer to your question: I am NOT trying to shutdown or close iCam Source in any fashion.  It is being shutdown for me via the windows error message.  As mentioned before, I have been using iCam Source for awhile, and know to shut it down (whether v 1.4.2 or 2.1.1) I need to right-click the icon and select Stop.  Which is how I shut down early yesterday.  After that, I have not tried to shut down.  Windows/registry is doing it for me.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:48:47 PM by dkb52 »

OldManInFL

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 07:30:52 AM »
I have each 2.x version crash when starting, after installing an update. If I delete the registry entry from current user/software/skjm, the program would run. Of course, I needed to re-enter my data.

Maybe when the product gets removed, some registry keys could be deleted that may be the problem

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 04:38:22 PM »
dkb52 - The reason I asked how you closed iCamSource is because you said this in your previous post:

After running fine all night, I closed (exited) iCamSource, about an hour ago.  Two minutes ago, I attempted to restart, and no-go.  I immediately received the windows "sorry message." 

That implied that it ran properly the first time, then crashed after that.   

When you say that you immediately received the windows "sorry message" do you mean when you launched it, or when you hit the Start button, or some other time?  Previously, you had mentioned that it would generally crash after broadcasting for an hour, so I was surprised to see that it was crashing immediately.

If you look in the Process list in Task Manager when you are seeing this behavior, do you see only one iCamSource entry?

dkb52

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 05:21:32 PM »
??? Jay,  Each time iCam source has "crashed" (windows error message) it has always started, and had been running (broadcasting). The last crash, it had been broadcasting over an hour.  Of course once the crash occurs, it will NOT run again (with/without reboot, with/without uninstall & reinstall).  It will only start again, after the iCamCleanRegistry is run.

Update 8:27 est.  No "force" necessary.  After running fine all night, I closed (exited) iCamSource, about an hour ago.  Two minutes ago, I attempted to restart, (launch) and no-go.  I immediately received the windows "sorry message." 

I rebooted, tried to restart, and received the windows error message again, back to one icon in the task bar, which disappeared during a mouse over.

I ran the iCamCleanRegistry, restarted iCam Source (no reboot), and am up and running again.

This occurred on my notebook, and NO auto-start is Not checked.

YES, it crashed (windows error sorry message); when I attempted to "relaunch" iCam Source.  This only occurs, once a crash occurs while broadcasting (after start button), and will continue to do so, until CleaniCamRegistry is run.

NO, it has not crashed immediately after clicking the start button.

iCam Source has been stable today (running 19 hours now).  After this post, I will STOP broadcasting, then EXIT iCamSource, shutdown windows, shutdown the computer, and see what, if anything happens.

dkb52

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 06:50:54 PM »
As mentioned above, I STOPPED iCam Source.  I EXITED the program (right click on icon>EXIT).
I Logged off Windows, then Shutdown the computer completely.

After waiting an hour or so, I restarted my computer, logged into windows, Attempted to launch iCam Source (v 2.1.1) (Start>iCam Source).

I immediately received the Windows Sorry Message (encountered an error with iCam Source)  Never made it far enough to START the broadcast, the preferences panel did not load.

As has become the "norm" i ran CleaniCamRegistry, launched iCam Source (without reboot), and all is broadcasting again.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 08:46:33 PM »
It's possible that stopping iCamSource with the stop button runs code that is causing problems with the registry.

What happens if you run (and start) iCamSource and then exit the program without hitting the Stop button?  Does it still crash the next time you run iCamSource?

dacarter

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2010, 09:03:03 PM »
WOW, lots of activity on my thread.  Glad it's not just me haveing the problem.  Do we think it's resolved yet?  Can't quite tell from the posts.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2010, 08:52:33 PM »
The CleaniCamRegistry file seems to get it working for most people.  (http://skjm.com/icam/CleaniCamKey.reg)

Some others are having the problem re-occur after running that file.  I'll be looking into the registry code this week to see if I can resolve the problem (or problems).

dacarter

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 11:16:47 AM »
Ok, the reg cleanup did the trick for me.  Did have some trouble connecting to my TV card with 2.1.1 but it finally start up.