Author Topic: iCamSource and Power Management  (Read 3453 times)

ajaxlaw

• View Profile
iCamSource and Power Management
« on: August 28, 2010, 01:48:54 PM »
I am a brand new user of this software, currently trying the beta (to be able to limit the times when the motion sensor sends notifications.) This may be an unavoidable problem, but there must be a workaround. The iCam software reports no source available from time to time. To the best of my knowledge, it seems to coincide with the computer iCamSource is installed on going to "sleep." I am using a wireless camera. I suppose if it was a usb camera, the computer could somehow be set to wake on activity from the usb port. Am I correct in my analysis of the cause? How to fix? (Clearly, the person who caught the thieves while he was on vacation was able to access the camera even after the house had been quiet for some time.)

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: iCamSource and Power Management
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 02:55:46 PM »
iCam only connects to the iCamSource application running on your Mac or Windows computer. If you computer goes to sleep then it is essentially powered off, and the iCamSource is no longer actively running. In order to connect to the iCamSource with iCam your computer does have to be on and awake. You would just need to configure your computer not to go to sleep. (The displays can go to sleep, just not the entire computer.)

ajaxlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 02:03:01 PM »
Thanks. I think I have that solved, although sometimes the iCamSource software seems to shut down for no apparent reason. iCam works fine on my local wireless network and on my wireless network at my office. I still have trouble getting it to work on the 3Gs network. Says it can't find the source. Also, still can't get iCamWeb to work anywhere. It can't be my routers, because I can connect wirelessly (although it could be a problem if I am away from home on a hotel wireless system.) I have opened the software ports on my computers, but they require a program to associate with the opened ports and I'm not sure what to use for iCamWeb. Browser? Tried this but still no image. Seems to run the java applet (seemed to download okay, including update to java itself.) What to do?

ajaxlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 02:43:16 PM »
Getting closer. It seems the problem with iCamWeb is with FireFox. I was able to connect locally (on my home office network) using IE. Is there something that needs to be done with FireFox to get it to work with iCamWeb?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 05:08:41 PM »
No, as long as Firefox has Java enabled it should still work.

Have you tried the 1.4.2.6 BETA that includes the Auto Config Router logic?

If not, we currently have a new BETA version available that includes some router auto-configuration code that works with most routers that support UPnP or NAT-PMP.

It can be downloaded here:

Windows Version - http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSetup1.4.2.6.exe
Mac Version - http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource1.4.2.6.dmg

To use the router auto-configuration, check the Auto-Config Router checkbox in the iCamSource Preferences window before clicking the Start button. A status message will appear above the Auto-Config Router checkbox that should give you some sort of indication of whether or not the auto-configuration was successful. (When checking the Auto Config Router checkbox please uncheck the Port Forward Range checkbox.)

Please let me know what the status message says and whether or not you are able to connect.

ajaxlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 10:28:14 PM »
I am using the version 2 beta, for the ability to schedule motion detection.

I think the router is okay, as I can connect locally and at my office using the iPhone on a wireless connection. Also I can connect locally using Safari, Google Chrome and IE, just not FireFox which identifies the one source, but never puts up the viewer window. As such, I don't think it is a router configuration issue or a software firewall issue. I will work some more with the 3Gs connection. I spend a lot of time in range of either of the two wireless routers, so I must remember to try the connection over the iPhone when I am out of range of the routers.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 10:59:38 AM »
iCam and the iCamSource contain "zero-config" logic that allows them to connect without any router or firewall configuration under most network configurations, but there are exceptions to what it can handle.

The success of iCam to connect the iCamSource depends on how both the iCam and the iCamSource networks are configured, handle port translations, etc. In other words, it depends on the combination of the two networks being able to work with one another.

3G networks are notoriously complex, and you can experience problems when connecting via 3G even when you are able to connect via other WiFi networks.

You can also test your 3G connectivity by temporarily disabling WiFi in your iPhone's Settings.

ajaxlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 12:29:49 PM »
Well, I seem to be getting closer. I can see the cameras at my office when I am on the office wireless network, but get an error message about not being able to connect to one or more cameras. Same at home, I can see the home cameras on the home wireless network. I can't see all 4 however. I used the same username and password for both iCamsource. Is there something special I must do to be able to view all cameras, home and office, at once on my iphone?

Still some potential issues with iCamsource shutting down for no apparent reason from time to time.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2010, 03:36:26 PM »
Are you running the Mac or Windows versions of the iCamSource? If the iCamSource is disappearing it may be crashing or the computer may be restarting itself automatically, perhaps after installing an update.

If you are seeing the Source Connection Error when you are on a different WiFi network then it may have to do with your network's configuration. Are you able to connect to either your home or work iCamSources via 3G?