Author Topic: iCam worked ONCE.. Now nothing works.. HELP!!  (Read 6628 times)

Kai

• View Profile
iCam worked ONCE.. Now nothing works.. HELP!!
« on: August 25, 2010, 08:19:43 PM »
I've got iCamSource running on a Mac Mini (The newest revision) with 2 logitech cameras hooked up (one C270 and a C510). The first time I opened the software on my iPhone 4 it worked perfectly. I could see and hear both cameras. However... It only worked over Wifi (on my own network). I cannot get it to work over 3G at all. And now I've gone back to trying to connect over my own Wifi network, and it doesn't work. The preference windows for both cameras are working just fine, they show the previews for both cameras, and that both cameras are running.

The error I get when trying to connect over Wifi is: There are currently no running iCamSources associated with your existing login and password.

The error I get when trying to connect over 3G is something like: no iCamSources responding to the Broker Server...

I'm really getting aggravated because I have tried several different login/password combinations (always making sure they matched) on both the iCamSource software and iPhone app to try to get it to connect and it's just not working at all.. Why would it work once, then stop working completely???

I've restarted my Mac and iPhone and tried re-installing both the iCamSource software and iPhone app and nothing works. I've trashed prefs on my mac and tried three different versions of the iCamSource software..

Please help me out..

EDIT: Just some additional info.. I have a 50 MBit connection to the web and my 3G signal strength is great (full bars). I would be happy to PM my IP address to any of the mods here if that would help..
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 08:44:05 PM by Kai »

Kai

• View Profile
Re: iCam worked ONCE.. Now nothing works.. HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 09:08:08 PM »
To make matters more confusing...

I decided to try connecting my webcams to my laptop (MacBook Pro Core i7) and install the latest iCamSource software.. Guess what.. IT works!!

Please help me figure out why it works on my Laptop (which is on the same router as my Mac Mini - only it connects via Wifi instead of ethernet like my Mac Mini).

UPDATE: I found the new Beta version of the iCamSource software in the Troubleshooting 102 thread. I tried installing 2 versions of the new beta on my Mac Mini and managed to get ONLY ONE of the webcam signals through to my iPhone.. But only over Wifi, 3G/EDGE is still not working. I should mention that the Auto Port forwarding feature was turned on but there was UPNP error, so I turned it off and it still seems to work (but only for one of my webcams)..
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 09:42:08 PM by Kai »

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 12:26:59 AM »
Have you enabled uPNP on the router? uPNP needs to be enabled both in icamsource and in the router itself.

If so, have you rebooted the router since enabling uPNP in the router settings?

I've also seen issues regarding Mac Mini's and using multiple USB cameras. If I remember correctly, it has to do with the USB hub in the computer not providing enough power to the cameras. Not sure if that's what affecting you though.

Kai

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 07:29:14 AM »
I am at work right now but I'm pretty sure UPNP is enabled on my router. I'll double check when I get home tonight.

I have a brand new Mac Mini (the latest revision) and it doesn't seem to have the underpowered USB hub problem. I have both cameras connected and two instances of the iCamSource software running. The preference windows for both instances show that the cameras are working, although the motion detection seems to only work for the first camera.

Kai

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 02:54:08 PM »
UPNP is enabled. Still only once cam working. No 3G/EDGE, only Wifi..

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 06:32:17 PM »
And you've tried rebooting your router? Might as well reboot your computer and iPhone at the same time. If that doesn't work, post back...I'm sure the SKJM guys will help you out quickly. I'm not a Mac guy, so I don't have any ideas beyond the router/icamsource/iPhone interactions.

Kai

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 07:22:39 PM »
I've tried rebooting my router and even my cable modem..

I've tried eight different versions of the iCamSource software (from 1.4 thru to 2.0.3 and only the 1.4.2.6 BETA lets me get one of my two webcams working, and only over wifi). Each time I've trashed prefs, trashed the app, restarted the computer, even flashed my PRAM a few times, and reinstalled the App on my iPhone fresh and still no dice.

Nothing seems to work for me. I even called my ISP to make sure there wasn't any problem with my connection and they said everything is fine, no throttling or blocked ports or lost packets.. It's a complete mystery to me.

I wish someone had some answers for me I've spent about 12 hours in total trying to get this to work.

HELP!

alien_warrior

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2010, 02:10:17 PM »
I am having the same issue wifi works but 3g does not.  Downloaded this software after the news the other night.  (spend hours on it already)
 :-\

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2010, 10:13:14 PM »
alien_warrior  - What error message are you seeing on your iPhone exactly?  If you're seeing the Source Connection Error, then we have a new BETA version of iCamSource that might resolve your problem.  The new BETA version of iCamSource is available for download at:

Windows:  http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSetup1.4.2.6.exe

Mac:  http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource1.4.2.6.dmg

Check the Auto-Config Router checkbox before clicking the Start button.  Then the iCamSource will attempt to automatically forward a port in your router.

When you click the Start button, what status message appears above the Auto-Config Router Port checkbox?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 12:35:34 AM »
Kai,

It sounds like you should keep 1.4.2.6 BETA...and then manually set up port forwarding in your router. You might also post back with the brand and model of your router. I know there's at least one router that has major issues with port forwarding (i.e. it won't work with iCam).

Per SKJM's directions (here - http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=402.0), do make sure that you use the port checker to ensure that the ports are open (with icamsource running during the test). Follow the directions carefully...it's easy to make a little mistake.

If that doesn't work, make sure all of your drivers are updated on your Mac Mini (especially network drivers). Make sure that you don't have a software firewall that is blocking icamsource from sending/receiving data through the network connection. Have you noticed any other network issues (Internet browsing, etc) on your Mac Mini? If you have, check your cat5 cable (not kinked, etc)...and make sure there are no sources of strong electromagnetic interference (like fluorescent lights) that could be screwing with the packets sent through the cat5 cable to the router. I really doubt this is your issue...but I'm running out of ideas short of reimaging your Mac Mini and starting over with completely fresh everything.

Kai

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 12:41:36 PM »
I've tried everything.

I shouldn't have to wipe my Mac Mini and reinstall the whole OS just to get this software to work. It's really not supposed to be this complicated.. The whole reason I paid for the iCam App was because in the description in the App store it says: "In most situations things should just work".

My network is as basic as they get.. Cable Modem -> Linksys WRT400N -> Mac Mini. That's it!!!!

I'm just about ready to give up on this whole thing.. It only worked once.. and now I've cleared everything out and gone back to the basic 1.4.2.6 BETA setup I had when it was working.. and it's NOT working at all..

I've wasted days trying to make this work and it's just FAR more complicated than it's made out to be in the App store.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 03:03:39 PM »
Sorry it's not working for you. You tried the manual port forwarding, correct? For most people, it does work with little effort. I've been on these boards for a while, and I don't see too many people at all that can't get it working (or can't get it working within a few hours). Networking can be very complicated (not SKJM's fault), and therefore setting up programs that utilize networking CAN be very difficult. Then you throw in different hardware (webcams, etc). Getting a program to work on 100% of systems is difficult. It seems like the SKJM guys have been working hard trying to get it to work on more systems, and with less setup hassle (implementing uPNP support and adding various features).

Have you tried e-mailing SKJM for support? If you e-mail them your IP address (for your computer with icamsource) and setup a temporary username/password (in icamsource) that you can also send to them. They can try to diagnose the problems. If they can't get it fixed for you, maybe they'll refund your money.

Kai

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 05:24:49 PM »
I've been in touch with them by email for the last few days.. They have been doing their best to get back to me promptly, and with a lot of helpful suggestions and information. It just doesn't seem to work for me. It doesn't really make any sense to me..

Today I was able to get my MAcBook PRo to run one instance of iCamSource 1.4.2.6 that connected to the server and I could see the built-in iSight cam on my iPhone. It only worked over wifi though. This is with no Auto-Config button checked, no port-forwarding, etc.. My MAc Mini, even with the Port-Forwarding done manually, with everything working and checked via the online tool, can't connect to their servers with even one camera.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2010, 12:40:06 PM »
That's bizarre. I honestly haven't seen anyone else on these boards having these specific issues. Usually one of the fixes will work. I'm sorry it's not working for you...because it's an awesome app. I had issues with multiple cameras when I first got it set up, but thankfully the port forwarding fixed it for me.

If port forwarding is working and the port checker confirms that the ports are open, try connecting to your webcams using their web app:

http://skjm.com/icam/web/

Does that allow you to connect to the cameras? If so, I'd think the problem is with your phone. If not...

I know it's a huge pain, but you could always try doing a fresh install of the OS. You might have inadvertently messed up required settings/etc that icamsource needs when you cleared preferences, flashed your PRAM, etc. If you do reimage, try starting with manual port forwarding and reboot everything once you get it set up. Good luck!