Author Topic: iCam helps thwart robbery at my house!  (Read 16424 times)

vincentandjanet

• View Profile
iCam helps thwart robbery at my house!
« on: August 22, 2010, 02:56:51 PM »
I know, I know this isn't really a support issue, but I wanted to share it with the forum.  If you need to move this post, I understand, but please forward it to SKJM.

So here is what happened...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0spz07VxXR0

As an addition to our existing Broadview security system, my wife and I bought iCam for our iPhones.

While we were visiting my parents in Connecticut two days ago, my wife received a call from our security company indicating that our monitored Broadview Security alarm had gone off around 3:00 pm that afternoon.  At the same time, we both got a text notification that motion had been detected on one of our iCam webcams.  We immediately checked the iCam app and, sure enough, two guys were trying to break in to our house - on video.  Since she was on the phone with the alarm company, she asked them to send the police right over as I called 911 in Connecticut, who patched me to my local 911. 

We watched as they attempted to break one tempered glass door - not once - but three times with a brick.  Finally, they threw the brick through the door RIGHT IN FRONT of our iCam.  The breaking glass triggered our glass break sensor and the alarm sounded.  They then fled.

The police arrived very quickly and surrounded the house and entered with guns drawn as we watched live on our iCams in Connecticut from out iPhones and iPad.  The iCam software also broadcasts the audio, which allowed us to hear the officers announced themselves as the alarm sounded.  It was surreal.

The suspects had already fled, through our alley as my neighbor watched since we had called her to give her a heads up on what was happening.  The get away car spead away between our two houses.

As it turns out, another neighbor in our cul-de sac had just been robbed right before the suspects attempted to break in to our house.  Her house was severely damaged, and the suspects unfortunately took many items.

My wife and I really think this iCam iPhone software along with our Broadview alarm thwarted this attempted robbery of our house.  YouTube link to the iCam video below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0spz07VxXR0

Vince and Janet - happy SKJM iCam customers

We also like to watch our cats, too, but hey, we'll watch burglars as well.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: iCam helps thwart robbery at my house!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 06:05:27 PM »
Excellent post!  ;D

We always appreciate hearing from users who have benefited from using iCam as a part of their security system. :)

A couple of weeks ago our house alarm went off while we were coming home from across town, and we got a call from our security company that our back patio door had opened, triggering the alarm. We have iCam monitoring the patio, and I pulled out my iPhone to check the motion events as well as the live feed. There wasn't anything out of the ordinary in the events, but I could see from the trees blowing around in the back yard that it was pretty windy outside. I guessed that the wind had likely blown the door open, and once we arrived home, that was indeed the case. (The kids hadn't fully latched it before we'd left.)

Even though iCam didn't prevent a burglary, it did give us the piece of mind knowing that there weren't ninja assassins lurking in the house once we returned. And it was good to see that the dog was still okay. :)

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 10:21:02 PM »

Logicl77

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 08:11:16 AM »
Vincent, do you mind detailing the type of cameras you have setup? Webcams, ip cams, or usb cams? and what brands? 

Thanks

Lewis

awerm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 12:38:02 PM »
It's in Yahoo's Today's Video Picks rotation, that's where I saw it and the reason I bought it! How did you get the video to youtube? I am new to the app and only see video stills that when played on my iPhone create a stop motion video, how do you convert it to video? Hope they find those guys. I'm in DFW and my once quiet neighborhood is slowly becoming a target.

cavalcanti

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 04:55:20 PM »
I saw your video on CNN, and that's why I bought this app, I already had a panasonic wifi camera, and bought two others to fully protect my house.

$4.99 is very inexpensive for this great app... and you can use with regular webcams... with little investment you can have a great security system, I even use www.dropbox.com and store the motion files outside my computer, even if they steal my computer, I'll have the files...

Btw, did the police caught this crooks?

Thanks and good luck!

vincentandjanet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2010, 07:49:50 PM »
We have a Logitech Quickcam, a $9.99 generic webcam, and a netbook with a camera built in.  We also use DropBox for offsite image storage, it works great.

Suspects are still at large, hopefully they can be caught soon.  This story was on local news, Good Morning America, NBC, FOX then CNN.  When AP and UPI picked it up - it went global fast to newsprint and radio worldwide.  Honestly, we're not sure we can do any better getting the word out...

Vince and Janet

dacarter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 08:09:08 AM »
I also bought iCam because of your story on the news.  I already had 4 cameras, a security DVR, recording by motion, a program called WebcamXP feeding the video to the web, including my iPhone, but I never could figure out a good way to notify me when there's motion.  This app completed my system.

Two things left I would like to accomplish.  Record a license plate on the DVR, which is hard to do, and setup something to scare the crooks out of the house.  I have X10 automation throughout and a program called HomeSeer controlling things that I can access from my iPhone, so I'm thinking about triggering a loud recording saying "I'm watching you now, and the police are on the way", blarring it over and over at a very loud volume.  The way I see it, knowing they are in the house is just part of it.  If the police don't respond quickly, you still might loose lots of stuff.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 03:10:56 PM »
dacarter,

Will you PM me your e-mail address? I have some questions about how to implement the home automation/voice playback. I'm interested in doing something very similar. I'm currently remodeling my house, and have run wires for all kinds of alarm sensors, cat5 for cameras, etc. I'm getting close to the point where I actually have to start selecting hardware, etc. Anyways, PM me if you have time to help provide some details or ideas. I'm new to this whole automation thing. Thanks!

dacarter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 10:15:42 PM »
PM sent.